Is it my imagination? Better "the next day"

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Every time I break out a new bar of soap I really worry about it. It just doesn't seem to be bubbly, or even nice to use at all. But then the next day and then the following days it just seems to get better. The lather/bubbles are better and it grips better. I am talking in the shower not using a washcloth.

I kinda thought I was nuts for a while, well maybe I am 🤪. But its like the first layer is gone and it just becomes nicer with use. Can someone explain this to me? Maybe a layer of ash that isn't really noticable that is keeping it meh, then is washed off with the first use?

I don't have an explanation, but I've noticed thatt same thing, there does seem to be a very slight film, or something on a new bar. 🤔

Here’s my best guess - Even a bar formulated for longevity will retain some water for some period of time after use, perhaps depending on the relative humidity, and even if you put it in a dry spot between uses. That will soften the outer layer a bit, making the soap just a tad easier to dissolve on the next use.

@Catscankim I have the same experience with starting new bars. The bar is hard and takes longer to release lather at first. @Mobjack Bay's explanation is what I've always assumed is the cause of this. And I do find it is important to tell people about this if they aren't used to handcrafted soap, since syndet bars from the store don't seem to have this issue.

Latest posts

Back