Is homemade laundry soap ok for septic?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovethe80s

Reaction score
Ok, I was just going to get around to making laundry soap today (I have 10+ pounds of rebatch shreds and quit soapmaking so am trying to find another use for all this soap). We have a septic tank and we do have to get special toilet paper and things, so I am just wondering if the laundry soap is ok. I have 2 little boys under the age of 3 who go through like 4 outfits a day so we have tons of laundry. It would probably amount to a lot more soap going down the pipes as opposed to just the soap used for showers. Anyone know if the homemade laundry soap is ok for septic?

Hi Ilovethe80's
There was a thread about soap & septic tanks just a while ago :) Just search for septic tank and I think it will provide you with the info you need.
Little boys are messy :lol:

Everything I have read says yes, we make our own liquid laundry soap and it seems to be fine.. In fact I would think with only natural ingrediants it's probably easier on the septic field than commercial detergent

I have too read that it is even better for septic systems. The soap doesn't sud as much as the detergent you buy. It also brakes down much easier. Again, this is just from the things I have read and it make sense to me.

Have fun.....just make sure to add a little vinegar to the rinse water. That makes the natural soap rinse cleaner and softens things up too! :)

Latest posts

Back