Instant Pot

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG, YES!! Best corned beef and cabbage I've ever had anywhere came from our Instant Pot! I'm not a huge fan of the regular yogurt from the Instant Pot, but the cold start method makes amazing greek yogurt. And I never boil eggs anymore - so much easier with this thing! I also really like that it has a timer and a 'keep warm' feature....we love steel-cut oatmeal (and never use 'instant' anything - other than this pot!), so the Instant Pot is great for having perfectly cooked steel-cut oatmeal hot and ready when you wake up in the morning!

I couldn't agree more about the boiled eggs! They come out perfectly cooked, and peel perfectly EVERY time. I'll never go back to the old way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the 10 quart for my birthday 2 years ago. I have used it twice. I can't figure the thing out! I made spaghetti and ribs. I need to drag it out and try again :)

Which version Instant pot do y'all have, i.e., Lux, Duo, Duo Plus, Ultra.....? I spent most of yesterday afternoon researching these things and didn't realize there were several different versions of them! Based on a very honest, thorough review of the Ultra version over at the hipressurecooking site, I'm leaning towards the Duo plus version at the moment, eight quart.

On one of the other sites I was perusing, I read that Instant Pot is debuting their MAX version in August, which they are promoting as having pressure canning capabilities, being able to reach a PSI of 15. I saw some of you mention pressure canning in your Instant Pots. That's something I wouldn't be able to do at my elevation with the current versions which can only reach a PSI of 11.6. In order for me to can low-acid foods at my elevation I need a pressure canner capable of a steady 15 PSI......which I happily happen to have in my All American pressure canner. The only thing I don't like about my All American, though, is that I can't cook meals directly in it, which is why I am looking at Instant Pots. Well........ actually..... I can cook meals in my All American, but I don't want to because it is 100% cast aluminum. Too reactive for my likes when it comes to cooking, as opposed to canning in it.

As I was researching, I ran into an electric pressure cooker made by Cosori (the name kept popping up on different Amazon reviews). Have any of you heard of Cosori? It looked like it had a lot of nice features on it.

Argh! The more research I do, the more undecided I become over which one to buy!

IrishLass :)

I have the 6 qt duo. Don’t get the Lux, I’ve read and heard you can’t do some things in there that it’s more like a slow cooker. I have an egg cooker and have had one for over 25 years, that thing has been shelved except for poached eggs. I rarely had easy peel eggs form it. My IP is amazing. I make 10-12 a week and my IP has been a saving grace. I do 5-5-then ice bath. Perfect yolk every time.

... I do 5-5-then ice bath. Perfect yolk every time.
The 3-3 I mentioned above produces a translucent yolk that I like better for eating whole instead of the lighter opaque yolk that is more typical. These yolks are totally solid, but you can't mash them up for egg salad because they squish rather than shatter. Rather like the yolk from an egg fried over-hard. That's the goal, anyway.

Something like the left-most picture is my goal, though I don't usually get such a distinct ring of 'more-cooked" yolks. Some web sites call this "medium-boiled"
20140430-peeling-eggs-12.jpg

ETA: By the way, I don't actually think it's possible to make soft-cooked eggs in the IP. I've tried a few times, without success. Two minutes doesn't cook the whites fully.

Am I suppose to take the chicken feet out early ?
I leave the chicken feet in until it's done cooking and then take them out with tongs and strain the broth. :)
IL - I have the 6qt Duo - it's an older version, but still works great!! Like others mentioned, I haven't heard great things about the LUX models.
And just a note about the 'Mini' Instant Pot - I know a lot of people wonder why on earth anyone would buy a small pot that costs almost as much as the bigger ones.
This was my reason:
I got my mother the 3qt Duo Instant Pot 'Mini' last year and she loves it! She lives alone and this little pot is perfect for cooking just one frozen chicken breast (although she could cook more if she wanted - it's not that teeny!), or just a couple of boiled eggs, or a small batch of soup or chili. She will only eat left-overs once, so this works great for her since she hates waste! She also sets it up every night to have her favorite breakfast ready when she wakes up - Apple Cinnamon oatmeal. One part organic steel cut oats, four parts water, a small chopped apple, and lots of cinnamon. Then she adds honey to make it sweet!

I also bought the IP-Duo and it seems to be very good. The only question for me is if the 6qt is large enough. I will mention again that my eggs turned out amazing and I dearly love hard boiled eggs. :D Tonight I have a chicken recipe from a Weight Watchers book, so will see how it turns out. Of course I did make several tweaks to the recipe. I am another that only use recipes for guides

I ascribe to the Alton Brown "only one unitasker" (fire extinguisher) philosophy. I do have a dedicated yogurt maker, but I got that as a gift and it mostly lives in the garage. I don't even have a fryer, preferring a dutch oven on the stove top.

I eat two hard boiled eggs for breakfast almost every day and one of those little cookers might tempt me to violate my rule above except for having to puncture the eggs. For me, part of the appeal is that they come in their own packaging - like a banana - and I can just toss a couple into my pocket on the way to work.

I really recommend the microwave egg cooker rather than the electric one. I have had the same one for over 10 years, and it makes perfect boiled eggs and takes up very little room in the cabinet. The only downside is that it only does 4 eggs at a time. I have a 1200 watt microwave, and I cook them 7 minutes and 15 seconds, and they come out perfectly. You could back the time down a bit and get the softer middles that you like. Best single use item I have ever owned. The eggs are very easy to peel.

I received the 6 qrt Duo for Christmas and LOVE it. I cook something in it at least once a week, but most weeks I use it more than that. This week I made Mongolian Beef, Pepperoni bake without the bake part (elbow mac, speg sauce, pre-cooked hamburger, pepperonis and water, added cheese after it had naturally released), potatoes and eggs for potato salad, then later that same day a rack of pork spare ribs. I haven't figured out what is on the menu tonight but there is a very good chance it will come out of my Electric Cauldron.
I made bone broth, lots of bone broth, right after I got it. I didn't stick to 1 kine of bone, I used chicken, turkey,beef and pork all in the same pot. I didn't know to put the ACV in so just used water. I cooked if for about 3 hrs, poured the broth off then added more water and cooked for 4 hours. The broth was not as rich but it was still very usable. By the time I was done the bones were crumbling. The cats really loved them and I didn't have to worry about them eating cooked bones. I usually save bones from ham, turkey, beef etc and put them in baggies in the freezer. When I need broth I pull them out and have what I need for the broth. I freeze it in various size containers so that I can pull out what I need when I need it.
I don't like the bean/chili function for chili as I don't think it cooks the beans long enough. I followed the instructions that came with the IP but found I like to pressure cook my dry bean for 50-60 min before adding all the other ingredients. I do like the flavor of the chili though. You get the blended flavor of 2-3 day crock pot chili on the first day.

I just visited my cousin who mentioned that she had bought one about a yr ago but had never used it. I told her she had to get it out and start, she would be amazed at how fast she fell in love with it. You will too

We liked the Thai Asparagus recipe for Weight Watchers, but I can say when the hot weather is done I will probably not use the pot as much. I just do not like eating foods cooked with liquid for everyday eating, which is why I never used my regular pressure cooker much. I agree with IL, I can cook in my All American canner, but I do not because of the cast aluminum issue. I mostly used it for canning albacore which I needed a steady 13 lbs pressure and least the was the guideline for fish when I was canning it. That could have changed to higher pressure by now. When I first started canning fish it was a 12 lb pressure requirement. Also for canning I want to be able to have control over the pressure

We got an IP-Duo 6qt from my work as a wedding gift last summer :D When I plan ahead enough to have food in the house (two teenage boys and a growing 10 year old girl in the house, the youngest teen boy still won't eat more than cereal on any given day) it's a huge time saver! I don't like that it sucks up so much counter space and I haven't found storage room for it that would make it difficult to use. I was just telling my husband I need to do a bunch of batch cooking again and get some freezer meals stocked up again for when we're all running on different schedules during the school year. Mostly I use it for beans, eggs and large roasts. I gave up on rice. I made it perfect the first time I used the IP, and then murphy's law set in and it's either mush or undercooked.

Our favorite meals so far... please note if there are comments in ( ) these are comments to myself as I copied directly from my batch cooking document :) You can disregard them if I miss editing them out.

Creamy White Chicken Chili
5 Chicken breast halves
1 cup chopped onion
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 tsp better than bullion chicken
1 15.5oz can chick peas, drained
1 15.5oz can great northern beans, drained
8oz chopped green chiles
Juice of 1 lime
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 14.5oz can corn, not drained
1 tbsp cumin
2 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper
Cooking directions for serve day:
1. Thaw your meal enough to pop out of the freezer container.
2. Add frozen meal & 1 cup water to IP.
3. Set IP for high, 25 minutes, NPR.
4.Once IP cycle is finished, shred chicken and stir in 4 oz of the cream cheese, 4 oz of the pepper jack, and 1 cup of half and half.
Extra items needed for meal:
1 cup half and half
4oz cream cheese, softened
4 oz shredded pepper jack cheese

Asian Meatballs (1 meal) - I'm leaving the directions for the freezer meal here, I'm sure y'all can figure out how to make it fresh if you need to!

1.25 lbs ground turkey (not cooked)
1 tbsp garlic
1 tsp ground ginger
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
1/3 cup Panko breadcrumbs
1 large egg
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
2 pack frozen veggie stir fry

Directions for freezer prep:
Mix all ingredients except for stir fry in a bowl and roll into 1” balls. Freeze on a cookie sheet covered in wax paper and transfer to a freezer bowl/bag once frozen about 2 hours. Add stir fry bag into container with frozen meatballs and put the whole thing in the freezer.

Cooking directions for day you eat:
1. Saute for 5 minutes
2. Add 1/2 cup soy sauce
3. Add trivet and PIP container filled with 1.5 cups brown rice, 1.75 cups water
4. Set on manual, high pressure, 15 minutes, NPR

1/2 cup soy sauce
1 bag brown rice

Beef & Bean Burritos (1 meal)

In the container:
1.5 cups browned ground beef
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 cup onion, chopped
1 cup salsa
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
2 cups dry pinto beans
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup water

Cooking directions for day you eat:
1. Saute for 5 minutes
2. Set on manual, high pressure, 55 minutes, NPR (Note: this time cooks the beans, but doesn’t make them very soft. If you want softer beans, add 5 minutes to this cook time.)
3. Add 1/3 cup filling to each burrito. Top with cheese and roll.
4. Serve with chips and guacamole.

1 pack burrito-sized tortillas
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 bag chips
1 container guacamole

Turkey & Sweet Potato Chili (2 meals)

In each container:
Half of the cooked ground turkey
Half of the diced sweet potatoes
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 can chick peas