Infusing lilac

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheri_j

Reaction score
Good Morning Everyone!

My lilac bushes are going to be blooming soon and I want to infuse the oil with the blooms. I am planning on using the heat (stove) method. Now my question is: When I use the oil in my soap, will the infused oil carry the scent through the cold process method?

As always, you guys are the best! Thank you.

Cheri

While I have not tried this myself I would imagine that the smell would not last because of the lye. When I have used coffee and the grounds in my soap the smell was strong when I mixed everything but it didn't make it through to my cut bars and definitely no signs of it in my cured bars.

I wonder if the infused oil would work for things like lotions. What say the masses?

I just cut my coffee bars, and they smell lovely. But the jasmine tea and tea leaves. . . Nothing.

I doubt it would come through in lotions either. There is no lilac eo. Only fo. So I would be very surprised for it to work.

Me too, but I might give it a whirl on a small scale and see what happens.

I found this site interesting re Lilacs. Here is some infomation on Lilac benefits, Lilac EO, and even how to make Lilac oil at home. Looks like an interesting home project if you have a bunch of lilacs from your garden you can use:

http://www.tandurust.com/essentialoils/lilac-essential-oil-benefits.html

Don't know how much of this oil would survive the lye but its worth a shot.

Last edited:
You're welcom! Just a little jealous wishing I had some lilacs to harvest. If you try it would you let us know how the soap came out?

Oh, Candybee. I'm not the OP. I used to live in a house with a lilac tree/bush thing in the backyard, but not anymore. However, there is NO shortage of them around here. So, as soon as I see them in bloom, I will indeed try it and let you know. : )

Does anyone happen to know what these are? They smell similar to lilacs, but milder. If they are something recognizable, I could look up whether or not I could use them.

They look somewhat like a hydrangea, but I've never seen one like this, before.

photo-235.jpg

photo-236.jpg

I think, maybe never mind. i pulled off a floret, and it doesn't smell. I'm smelling something in my neighbors yard, near my fence. Oh, sigh!

I think that looks like what we used to call a smoke tree, when the flowers fall off do you get wispy looking long strands on it? (They fall off and blow around and look like smoke) I don't know the actual name for it, but they're pretty!

I am hoping that my lilac will bloom this year. It was a present from my son for mother's day last year and we've had such a late spring this year...

Candybee, it does. The only reason why I think it isn't, is because the individual flowers are soft and small, like jasmine or clematis, not tough like hydrangea. It being a hybrid, interesting question.

MissKat, I do believe that is what it is! I do think it does that, come to think of it. I'm going to look it up. Thanks!

By, the way, I came back to it, and smelled the floret I had left on the ground, and it did faintly have the scent. Even if it was useable, I imagine, I would have to use THE WHOLE BUSH, to make it work. : )

ETA: Houseofwool. My husband gave me a Passion flower vine, one year for mother's day. It didn't do well. It's at our last house. I wonder if it survived. : ( They're my favorite.

Latest posts

Back