Incorporating Ultramarines into M&P

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jblaney

Reaction score
I'm having trouble with ultramarines in my M&P. No matter if I mix with water, oil or glycerine before adding to my melted soap base, I get speckles. I would not mind too much except for the fact that ultramarines are such beautiful colors.

I tried mixing the powder with oil and making a concentrated color block with M&P base, as suggested by Brambleberry. Then I cut off a piece and added it to my white base to color it, but I still got speckles.

My next try is going to be getting a malt maker and see if I have any luck blending the ultramarine into the base and make a color block with it. I was hoping the blender would help break up all the little specks. Any suggestions?

jblaney,
Try mixing the powder with a small amount of alcohol (enough to make it liquidy), stir really thoroughly, then pour in a tablespoon or so of your MP base and mix up really well. This has been working well for me.

Thank you both Melstan775 & Marilyna for taking the time to comment.

I have tried the alcohol before and it did not work with the ultramarines for me. Pigments & Micas are another story. They seem to work just fine with an alcohol slurry or glycerine.

The ulramarines don't want to mix with anything and no matter how I add them to my soap, they clump.

I will try my malt machine idea and see if that helps.

Thank you!

Sweetlilly,

I have never heated my glycerine before, but that's something I will try tonight. It's a good idea that I never thought of.

Thank you!

OMG! It worked!

Thank you Sweetlily321!

I tested Ultramarine Pink & Ultramarine Blue. I heated a small amount of glycerine in the microwave and added my color. I smooshed it around with the spoon against the sides of the pyrex glass I was using until all the specks were gone. It was then smooth and creamy and I added it to a small amount of white M&P. When I unmolded it, there were no specks!

This is so great! Do you know if the specks come back? I was hoping I could premix some colors in glycerine. I kept the mixtures in little solo cups and will check them tomorrow to see if they get specks.

I have a purple color that is premixed from TKB Trading, but it has specks. I can probably get rid of them if I heat it and blend them all out.

Thanks again!

I usually mix ultramarine with a little almond oil, beat it with a mini frother and let it sit for at least 30 min and froth some more. I do cp so not sure if this will work for you.

Latest posts

Back