In search of fragrance/essential oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsams

Reaction score
Hi-

I'm new to soap making and I'm trying to get all my supplies in order. I'm completely confused about FO's and EO's, really only about how they smell. I'm trying to read the descriptions on websites but I really want to be able to smell them before I buy them. Does anyone know of any actual stores (not online) who carry FO and/or EO. I live in the Northern Virginia area and quite honestly I'd be willing to drive a ways to just smell them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have ordered some sample packs but most of the scents I didn't like as much as I thought I would. This could get very expensive for me. I did find a store in West Virginia but they are more than 5 hours from me - it's a bit too far.

Thanks in advance-
Wendy

Why not order sniffles sampler packs that are available from most sellers. SaveOnScents has 5 for $3.50

Many health food stores carry some essential oils, so you could get an idea of what they smell like if you have one local. As for FO, I think there is a forum in here especially for FO/EO and you might try reading what other people have said about certain ones.

Also, remember that sometimes it smells different in the bottle than it does in finished soap. The other day I made a pumpkin eggnog soap for my husband who loves both those smells. I thought it was ok in the bottle, but nothing fancy or special about it. Now that the soap is made, I can smell the pumpkin spices sooooo much more and it is by far my favorite soap I've ever made. I can't wait until it's cured so I can start using it. Every time I walk in the room I take a big whiff of it. I never would have guessed it just smelling it in the bottle.

This is a really great review board resource that I have used to determine what scents I will want to try out, was told about it by one of the Master Soapers from here.
http://soapscentreview.obisoap.ca/index.php
I don't know how to turn it into a linky for ya, lol. Another thing I just tried this weekend will be posting if it actually works out well. I made up an 8lb batch of shea butter 8% super fatted CP. I then measured out from primary batch(no color and no scent yet) 1lb and mixed in each 1 oz scent "sample" that I had. This allows me to take notes on scent strength, turns colors, accelerate, ricing, etc. Plus I get to play, lol. I always do a low temp CP (add lye water mixture at 90 degrees). For me anything hotter than that turns out too quickly and I feel rushed, lol. Being this low in temp means I blanket my molds and then put on top of the dryer while washing clothes this helps it to gel better. Anyway I guess I just over shared, Rolf! Hope this helps ya out.

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll have to start going to health food stores and smelling what they have and maybe order another sample pack from somewhere. I love the suppliersbysate.com site. Thanks again.

Back