In high school what was your career going to be?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always wanted to be an RN and that is exactly what I do and have done for almost 30 years :D Oh but now I'm thinking of going back to school for forensic anthropology, I'm interested in that now. Would they take old ppl :roll:

~Teri

Moonblossom said:
I always wanted to be an RN and that is exactly what I do and have done for almost 30 years :D Oh but now I'm thinking of going back to school for forensic anthropology, I'm interested in that now. Would they take old ppl :roll:

~Teri

I can't see why not...when I was at uni one of the girls in our Mid class was 56 and had worked in IT for 30-odd years. Go for it! :)

Moonblossom said:

~Teri

"Old People" make some of the best college students! Colleges know they are serious about their work, and in my experience with teaching a class at a community college, the older students were generally my best.

cthylla said:
Indiana Jones.

I still do, but that would put a huge crimp in the whole stay-at-home-mom thing.

I also wanted to be Indiana Jones, but I would have settled for being a regular old college professor or archaeologist.

I became a librarian instead, and believe it or not, my job is pretty exciting. Not as exciting as Indiana Jones, but it will do :)

I always wanted to be a doctor so that I could save lives. It never occurred to me that for as many lives are saved by doctors, there are those broken bodies that cannot be mended. I couldn't deal with the "delivering the bad news" part of medicine so I changed my major and became a registered dietitian. My specialty is in wellness and public health. Now I work to teach my patients how to live healthier and hopefully longer! Love it!

LOL Cthylla and JLW. I also wanted to be Indiana Jones. I wanted to go the Archaeology/Egyptology route.

Due to my circumstance however, I ended up going for advertising and marketing. Then I went to business school completed my undergrad, and started masters work in Public Relations. I did the business thing for a while, worked as a regional sales coordinator over a three state sales region. Absolutely freaking despised it!

Then when I was laid off (something I was actually kind of happy about), I was immediately head hunted by a local sign company that I had subcontracted in the past. They gave me the opportunity to do graphic design/sign making and I LOVE IT!

Funny how that works, I always end up doing something artistic no matter what field I'm in. Prior to college I worked in a bakery, I ended up being a cake designer/decorator. I worked at a university field office, I ended up doing all the ad fliers, and being put in charge of planning any public events we had to do. I worked as a sales coordinator, I ended up developing an in house graphic arts program to assist my sales staff in producing sales. And now, I get to do advertising and production art all day.

I'm thoroughly convinced that sometimes, your career finds you.

I wanted to be a comercial artist and take photos of food. Instead I went to university and studied psychology, and then changed my degree to social work. After I graduated I took a job in retail to fill in time until I found a 'real' job. I stayed in retail for 10 years, working my way up and becoming a department store manager.

In January I had a tramatic even happen that forced me to leave my job and now to pass the time I make soap!

I kinda get to fulfill my dream of photographing food now, by photographing soap - nearly the same thing :D

As for the future, who knows, I could either use my degree, or use my retail experience to open my own b and b store (that would be my dream)

I wanted to be a crime scene investigator or a spy or a PI. I soon learned that blood freaks me out to the point of running and screaming and as for being a spy, I am not very sneaky. and same goes for a PI. I would much rather soap allll day long

I wanted to be a web developer, or somewhere in the IT feild. Then I wanted to go to school for cosmetology, but I don't have the money for school.

Currenty I have no career, and haven't decided what I wanted to do yet. So I'm gonna try and turn what little money I have left from my previous jobs into a small soap business until I find a new job.

I wanted to teach Spanish or become a translator.

I wound up switching to being a Studio Art major two weeks into college, haha.

While in High School I followed the Department of Finance and Administrative Services, but I wanted to be a dress designer (although I hated the actual craft of making clothes because that was my mom's profession and always kept her too busy), but I loved the designing part.
I also wanted to combine this with interior design.

When I finished High School I found myself studying to be a Librarian(!). One year later I decided I hate it, and changed city and University, ending up studying Business and Economics and I got my bachelor in Business Administration.

I worked for some years as directorial assistant, accounts manager, public relations manager, then for 3 years had my own company dealing in building servicing, management, and issuing of maintenance.

For the last 8 years I'm a freelance translator.

If you ask me what I would like to do now, it's a completely different story. I would love to have a little store of my own selling homemade pies and marmalades and traditional cakes and sweets AND some soaps of course LOL...

I also wanted to be a vet but family convinced to go into nursing. I ended up dropping out of school and became a marine. Then went back to school for nursing which I have been for over 14 years. I sometimes really hate my job and sometimes do love it. I still wish I became a vet but little late now and just have a menagerie of animals running around.

Paramedic. I worked on the ambulance for a few years, got burned out and stopped. Now I dispatch for an ambulance company - but really want my own business.

I always wanted to be a vet when I was little. My mom worked for a vet, so I got to see a lot of cool stuff. For a science project in 6th grade I had all these pictures of a dog being spayed. It was real bloody :) Due to my circumstances when I graduated (didn't want to leave my boyfriend), stupid teenage decisions, I followed my mom's advice to become an actuary. Went to school for approx. 3 years for that. I realized that while I was capable of all that math, I wasn't freaky about it like most of the people in my classes.

So, I came back home and got my B.S. in Computer Science. Had tons of math & computer credits so I thought what the heck. Didn't even look for a stinking job.. hated it before I graduated. Worked in banking, then decided to go back to school to become a nurse. 13 years later... I'm still a nurse (case management- boo). It's not all bad, but I miss direct patient care. However, one good decision I must have made in all of this... the boyfriend and I have been together for almost 26 years, married for 18.

Oooohhhh... And I absolutely loved Quincy. He was the best, most original CSI show. I still regret not pursuing veterinary school. But, a stray animal could find me in the dark :)

Archeologist. Traveling the world digging up bones and ancient ruins.

I strayed soooooo far. My high school self would kick my butt.

Oooh! I wanted to be an archeologist/Egyptologist, too. I read and talked about it all the time and one of my sisters told me I was sooo boring. :lol:

I did participate in a dig after high school for college credit. After weeks of tediously scraping and sifting the garbage pits, getting sun poisoning and being too exhausted every night to go out drinking (a major drawback :wink: ), I came to the reluctant decision that maybe...just maybe archeology wasn't what I wanted to do. :lol:

Back