I'm thinking of using dried blueberries as exfoliant

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsanders

Reaction score
I have a lot of blueberry bushes and am thinking about getting some and dehydrating them, grinding them in the blender then using in a cp soap. What do you guys think? I'm not worried about the color, I jsut want to use my blueberries. I use goats milk almost always because my friends have a goat farm and want me to use the milk. Funny how that works!

I'm sure I've seen blueberry seed somewhere sold as an exfoliant. Don't know how scrubby dehydrated blueberry fruit might be but it's worth a try. At the least you would get some cool flecks in the soap. Do they look black after being dehydrated?

Of course, I'm no expert; but I doubt they would retain any exfoliating qualities after being soaked in liquid. However, I would imagine the color would be to die for. Please keep us posted and include pics!!

Don't get me wrong I do love my soap..... but that seems a waste of perfectly good blueberries. Pies, jams, coffee cakes. pancakes

Thanks now I have to get some out of the freezer

Mike

turbo said:
Don't get me wrong I do love my soap..... but that seems a waste of perfectly good blueberries. Pies, jams, coffee cakes. pancakes

:D

I have acres of them!! I'm trying to find new ways to use them where they won't spoil.

I don't think they would stay scrubby, but am not sure.

I am fairly certain they'd go brown, though.

But now you have to try it - cuz inquiring minds want to know.

I'm pretty sure they won't retain their color, and may not stay scrubby. You will just have to try it --- and let everyone know!! :)

I would use 1 Tblsp. PPO. And I, too, have seen blueberry seeds for sale. I sense another experiment in the works .....

I have used the blueberry seeds before and I like those... blueberries would probably turn brown though! You could try it anyway, what do you have to lose? :D

make it up in a tan-colored soap so even if they go brown (as i'm certain they will) they'll give some complementary brown color -- agree, what do you have to lose? and your own homegrown blueberries are definitely a selling point :)

I make a Salted Goats Milk Blueberry soap.

Using fresh (not dehydrated) berries liquified, Dead Sea salts an GM.
The fruit skins after the soap cures out make nice exfoliant.
Everyone whos tried it loves it.

Using berries, GM an touch of water for liquid.

Dehydrated then ground up might leave a little heavy chunks of fruit
which will possably go bad......maybe.

Latest posts

Back