I'm such an idiot!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renaissancemom

Reaction score
So I made my lye yesterday morning then I mixed my oils in the afternoon and I let them sit for the day. Last night I was ready to make my soap but the oils seemed a bit cloudy, as if they might start to slowly be getting hard, so I warmed my oils slightly then I had to warm my lye slightly. Needless to say I had been at my soap for most of the day. I was finally ready to mix; gloves on I started pouring what I thought was my lye. The oil/lye mixture looked very peculiar and suddenly I realized I had poured the water I used to warm my lye into the oil instead of the lye itself. I am such an idiot! My time and preperation were wasted. I had to throw out my oil and decide to just try again today...I probably could have salvaged the oil somehow, maybe, but by that point I was disgusted and annoyed with myself.

Thanks for reading my rant. Hopefully I have better luck today!

Sorry about that.
The same thing happened to me too. For some strange reason I poured water in my oils but fortunately realized it in time what I had just done. My great big luck was that and didn't mix it with my stickblender. I let it settle for a few minutes and poured the oils out into another pot and the water remained at the bottom. I might've lost a few grams of oil but I had a 7% superfat calculated into my recipe and didn't worry about it too much.
Happy and problem free soaping :)

I agree with Mari..if you let it settle you can use something like a turkey baster to suck all or most of the water out or all or most of the oil out once it separates

i poured about 2 cups of water into the oil, i would have been really nervous that too much oil would have been lost if i tried separating the two and then the saponification would have been incomplete or at least thats what i would have feared with the final soap.

Bubbles Galore said:
Oil does float on water but never mind, it will never happen again. :wink:

lol one time is usually enough to learn :) i love mistakes though, its when I make mistakes that I learn the most :)

Latest posts

Back