Ideas for storing soap that needs to cure

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsPine09

Reaction score
I've run into a bit of a problem. The first and only time I made CP soap I was able to keep my bars on a drying rack on top of the fridge. However, now that I've moved, my fridge is located next to shelves and my cats love to nap on top of the fridge. I'm trying to find a place to store my soaps so that they can cure, but I'm not sure how to go about this so that it will be out of the way of the cats.

Will the soap still cure if I keep it in a cabinet/or on a shelf in a closet with the door closed or will there not be enough air circulating? The only spare room I have is going to be the nursery so I don't want to take it over with bars of soap.

Any ideas?!

I don't see why a cabinet/closet wouldn't work...I just wouldn't keep them in a damp place like the bathroom. A cardboard box would work just as well. They are not "air tight", so the air will circulate through it. The bankers boxes are good because they have a lid and you can remove it if you think they need more air, or cover it to keep the cat hair off. I cure mine for 2 weeks on muslin lined racks, then transfer them to kraft photo storage boxes lined with freezer paper and they are fine. I wouldn't store them in a nursery unless they are unscented. I think most fragrance oils and some essential oils are too much for a baby's sensitive respiratory system.

I do mine in a closet and it cures great. I put some racks in there and just turn the soaps every few days so all sides are exposed to air.

I have some cooling racks I use. I put them on the shelf in my coat closet and leave them for a month or so. Even with my bathroom being next to the closet they still seem to cute.

I set them on paper-lined cooling racks for a couple of weeks, turning them every few days. Then I put them in a paper bag or cardboard box, in the top of a closet far from my kitchen or laundry room. It works great. I soap in such small quantities that closet space has been enough.

Latest posts

Back