I think I'm the youngest person here...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessica.Paige

Reaction score
I'm only 15. Pretty young, right? Well, the only reason I found this site is because I sell scented slimes to students with certain problems. Such as a lemon rosemary slime for students that struggle with concentration. Yes, I could sell candles or something that isn't quite as messy, but the thing is that slime is something you want to use. It's relaxing and the more you use it, the more scented it becomes, releasing the scents that cure headaches, depression, etc. Slime is almost like a fidget spinner for students with ADHD, it can give your hands something to do so that people aren't as bored. I just stretched some slime in my hands while I was very actively participating in class.

That was off topic, sorry. I came here as I was reading some reviews on P&J Trading Oils. They seem somewhat reputable considering how cheap the oils are. I wanted to invest in something that wasn't quite as expensive as doTERRA.

If you have any information on cheaper but reputable oils, please let me know! Thank you.

Oh, and by the way, my name is Jessica.

:)

I think your scented slime idea is very cool! Can you share a recipe?

doTerra and YoungLiving are very VERY overpriced. "Therapeutic Grade essential oils" are not actually a thing. You can get EOs for cheaper at a healthfood store - I like NOW brand. read the bottle to make sure it is 100% ESSENTIAL OIL. "Lavender Oil" , for example, is not legally defined, so it could be canola oil or mineral oil mixed with some essential oil, or even just some fragrance.

The best prices are online. I like Camden Grey. They are in Florida, so shipping to me in Alabama is pretty good. Liberty Naturals is another one I see recommended a lot here.

You may also want to try www.thesage.com. They have The Amazing Dozen
https://www.thesage.com/catalog/products/Amazing-Dozen-Free-Shipping.html

free shipping on 12 1-oz bottles.

Hi Jessica, while I applaud what you want to do you cannot sell anything that is sold as a medical aid. It would be getting in the area of prescribing a drug. Do your due diligence and research the laws of selling something that does something. FDA is one place to start

My 10 yr granddaughter makes and gives scented, colored slime to her classmates. Problem with slime, is the fact it does not last long, and I do not know how many times a parent will buy it.

Hi Jessica, it sounds like fun! I can't help you with where to buy oils (Aussie here), but I've just jumped in to say welcome aboard!

They banned fidget spinners in schools where I am, and I don't think slime would even make it through the classroom door, but it's very popular :D. Do you make the glue version?

With the essential oils, there are safety limits for each of them, for how much can go on skin.
This IFRA guide, by lovinsoap, might be worth a bit of a read to get you started.
There's some links to essential oil suppliers in there too.

I'll leave the specific rules on selling etc. to your fellow countrymen (& women!), but cmzaha has a good point - you want to be careful not to cross into claiming medical benefits (your country is like ours with that - the rules and regulations surrounding medical products are really onerous). Actually, I'm not sure how slime would be classified, or what your regulations on toys are. Hopefully your fellow countrymen can help you out a bit there.

Good luck!
PS. Refrigerate your essential oils

Thank you so much for the help. I'll be sure to check out these websites and see what they have to offer. I'll be posting some recipes to my page (or somewhere on here) in a while, so if you'd like you can check them out.

Hi Jessica, while I applaud what you want to do you cannot sell anything that is sold as a medical aid. It would be getting in the area of prescribing a drug. Do your due diligence and research the laws of selling something that does something. FDA is one place to start

My 10 yr granddaughter makes and gives scented, colored slime to her classmates. Problem with slime, is the fact it does not last long, and I do not know how many times a parent will buy it.

I've done research into it before I started the whole process, and in my state, I'm allowed to sell it with an advertisement that states it is not clinically proven. Now, should I classify it as as a treatment that involves traditional drugs and things of that sort, I would be suspended from school for a few days and be given a fine, or something of that sort, for false advertisement to susceptible minds.

However, I really do appreciate getting multiple views, so if something goes wrong I'll only have myself to blame.

I'm very grateful that you mentioned places I could look.

Thank you so much.

Hi Jessica, it sounds like fun! I can't help you with where to buy oils (Aussie here), but I've just jumped in to say welcome aboard!

They banned fidget spinners in schools where I am, and I don't think slime would even make it through the classroom door, but it's very popular :D. Do you make the glue version?

With the essential oils, there are safety limits for each of them, for how much can go on skin.
This IFRA guide, by lovinsoap, might be worth a bit of a read to get you started.
There's some links to essential oil suppliers in there too.

I'll leave the specific rules on selling etc. to your fellow countrymen (& women!), but cmzaha has a good point - you want to be careful not to cross into claiming medical benefits (your country is like ours with that - the rules and regulations surrounding medical products are really onerous). Actually, I'm not sure how slime would be classified, or what your regulations on toys are. Hopefully your fellow countrymen can help you out a bit there.

Good luck!
PS. Refrigerate your essential oils

(Yes, I do make the glue version :) It usually doesn't get through the door though most of our teachers don't care all too much unless you are not paying attention. As I mentioned, I was actively participating and solving quadratic and integral calculus equations while using slime, so my teacher was all for it. Fidget spinners were banned from our school as well, but problem was it was being used as a toy and not as a tool.)

Wow, I wasn't aware that essential oils had limits, although this certainly makes sense for it's something along the lines of a medicine.

As for specific rules, I do not claim to have proven results with my product. This makes so that I'm protected from these laws. I've cleared it with local authorities by stating what laws could pertain to my business and how I've avoided them. I've asked them to notify me when/if I step out of line. They are completely satisfied with how I handled the situation and cleared everything up. My principle is also okay with it as long as it does not become a classroom distraction.

I've done research into it before I started the whole process, and in my state, I'm allowed to sell it with an advertisement that states it is not clinically proven. Now, should I classify it as as a treatment that involves traditional drugs and things of that sort, I would be suspended from school for a few days and be given a fine, or something of that sort, for false advertisement to susceptible minds.

However, I really do appreciate getting multiple views, so if something goes wrong I'll only have myself to blame.

I'm very grateful that you mentioned places I could look.

Thank you so much.

As well as the fact that this would be considered alternative medicine if anything and I could claim cultural properties, in which the most they could do is stop me from selling it on campus.

In any case, I've covered all my bases. If anything happens, then I'm allowed to hand someone slime (as long as it doesn't become banned), and receive payment later on and call it money that they were holding for me. Are you aware of Dan the Panini Man? If not, check him out.

Thank you so much for replying to my post and trying to inform me of things that I very could have been ignorant to, especially at the age of fifteen.

I think your scented slime idea is very cool! Can you share a recipe?

doTerra and YoungLiving are very VERY overpriced. "Therapeutic Grade essential oils" are not actually a thing. You can get EOs for cheaper at a healthfood store - I like NOW brand. read the bottle to make sure it is 100% ESSENTIAL OIL. "Lavender Oil" , for example, is not legally defined, so it could be canola oil or mineral oil mixed with some essential oil, or even just some fragrance.

The best prices are online. I like Camden Grey. They are in Florida, so shipping to me in Alabama is pretty good. Liberty Naturals is another one I see recommended a lot here.

You may also want to try www.thesage.com. They have The Amazing Dozen
https://www.thesage.com/catalog/products/Amazing-Dozen-Free-Shipping.html

free shipping on 12 1-oz bottles.

Thank you so much for the help. I'll be sure to check out these websites and see what they have to offer. I'll be posting some recipes to my page (or somewhere on here) in a while, so if you'd like you can check them out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hiya Jessica! Welcome. I think what you are doing is awesome! :thumbup:

There are many places to buy EOs on line so it would be easier to suggest a supplier if we knew where you are located (to save on shipping cost). East Coast? West Coast? Somewhere in beween?
I'm in Colorado and I buy from Sun Pure Botanicals in AZ. I like them because of the quality of oils, excellent customer service, quick shipping, and especially because I can buy in small sizes, which enables me to make a blend of 6 or so essential oils. at minimum expense, without having a lot of leftovers. Here's a link:

http://stores.ebay.com/Sun-Pure-Botanicals

Welcome, Jessica. You impress me as a highly motivated entrepreneur.

Cmzaha is absolutely correct. Even if your state or even city ordinances or even your school district is okay with certain practices, a seller runs serious risks ignoring federal regulations.

In my profession (before retirement) one of my responsibilities was to learn all regulations pertaining to our facility and ensuring that our staff knew exactly what was required in order to be in compliance with the strictest of those regulations.

That is the bottom line when it comes to dealing with multiple sets of rules and regulations for any business. How many sets of regulations might you need to consider? In the US, federal, state, county (example: health department), district (in your case, school district), local (This could be city ordinances or in your case, perhaps your specific school.) Now if you learn all the rules and regs for ach entity as it pertains to your product and your selling, then you will be able to determine which of those are the strictest. And by that I mean the strictest of each individual regulation. Sometimes, the feds are less strict on one aspect, but the state is more strict. You adhere to the State reg in that case. But in another reg, you may find the State is very lenient on another reg, but the Fed is much more restrictive; in this case you adhere to the Federal reg.

Now, of course, as a minor, maybe you can get away with making a few mistakes along the way and be forgiven. But 15 is almost an adult and as long as you are doing business as if you are an adult, following best manufacturing practices and complying with all the pertinent regulations will carry you through should you run into any problems with your product or clientele.

In fact, might I suggest another step not yet suggested? Since you are selling to kids who you say have 'certain problems' (vague, but this could indicate diagnosis, which is a red flag) a product containing Essential Oils that MAY have IFRA restrictions in addition to the potential for sensitivities and allergic reactions, I suggest you look into insurance to protect you, and your parents from a possible lawsuit. Perhaps a rider to your parents homeowners insurance would be a possibility. Assuming you still live with your parents and are not an emancipated minor.

Hiya Jessica! Welcome. I think what you are doing is awesome! :thumbup:

There are many places to buy EOs on line so it would be easier to suggest a supplier if we knew where you are located (to save on shipping cost). East Coast? West Coast? Somewhere in beween?
I'm in Colorado and I buy from Sun Pure Botanicals in AZ. I like them because of the quality of oils, excellent customer service, quick shipping, and especially because I can buy in small sizes, which enables me to make a blend of 6 or so essential oils. at minimum expense, without having a lot of leftovers. Here's a link:

http://stores.ebay.com/Sun-Pure-Botanicals
Do you use either the French Lavender or Lavender 40/42? If so how do they hold in soap?

What you're doing is really awesome! When looking for quality Essential oils, do your research. I knew as well that there had to be more affordable pure oils other than young living or doterra. And there are! Eden's Garden is good. Now is another affordable option for pure oils and they can be found in many local health stores. Personally I would never purchase an Essential Oil from Ebay or Amazon unless I was certain of purity and it came direct from the supplier, anyone can open a bottle, dilute it and add a new seal on the cap. If an essential oil has been adulterated with synthetics it could cause more harm than good. If an oil price looks too good to be true, then it probably is. If all their oils are within the same price range then this is also a red flag for impurities. With any oils that are suggested to you, research the company, look for reviews. :)

As well as the fact that this would be considered alternative medicine if anything and I could claim cultural properties, in which the most they could do is stop me from selling it on campus.

In any case, I've covered all my bases. If anything happens, then I'm allowed to hand someone slime (as long as it doesn't become banned), and receive payment later on and call it money that they were holding for me. Are you aware of Dan the Panini Man? If not, check him out.

Thank you so much for replying to my post and trying to inform me of things that I very could have been ignorant to, especially at the age of fifteen.

Essential Oils are alternative medicine? Cultural properties? Dan the Panini Man? (do you know how OLD this loophole story is?)

I don't know who is selling what to you, but there's a race on (right now - your lifetime right now) to get bio-scientists on board to learn as much as possible about what we have. Australia is part of this race. You should be part of it.

Nice that you are making slime. But if you've got the smarts that you are talking, make your own slime (ditch the glue base) ... and then make it better, and more environmentally sound, and more cost effective :D ... and if you can make it healthy to eat as well ... the world is your mollusc.

(Oh, and watch Red Dog ... just because)

If you have any information on cheaper but reputable oils, please let me know! Thank you.

Jessica,
Keep doing what you're doing. I recommend the NOW oils. Bulk Apothecary is a source site that I favor for many things, but their stock of various items has been too flaky for me recently.

Essential Oils are alternative medicine? Cultural properties? Dan the Panini Man? (do you know how OLD this loophole story is?)

I don't know who is selling what to you, but there's a race on (right now - your lifetime right now) to get bio-scientists on board to learn as much as possible about what we have. Australia is part of this race. You should be part of it.

Nice that you are making slime. But if you've got the smarts that you are talking, make your own slime (ditch the glue base) ... and then make it better, and more environmentally sound, and more cost effective :D ... and if you can make it healthy to eat as well ... the world is your mollusc.

(Oh, and watch Red Dog ... just because)

I love all of the ideas you're giving me right now. I'm not terribly smart, though. Nonetheless, eco friendly is the way I try to live my life, so ditching a glue base is something I would love to do! Oh gosh, I'm going to have to do some research.

Thanks!

Jessica,
Keep doing what you're doing. I recommend the NOW oils. Bulk Apothecary is a source site that I favor for many things, but their stock of various items has been too flaky for me recently.

Thanks for the information, I'll be sure to check them out!

What you're doing is really awesome! When looking for quality Essential oils, do your research. I knew as well that there had to be more affordable pure oils other than young living or doterra. And there are! I use Plant Therapy, their oils are pure, backed by Robert Tisserand, they have certified aromatherapists on staff to answer questions, they have a great reward program, specials, etc. Eden's Garden is also good. NOW is another affordable option for pure oils and they can be found in many local health stores. Personally I would never purchase an Essential Oil from Ebay or Amazon unless I was certain of purity and it came direct from the supplier, anyone can open a bottle, dilute it and add a new seal on the cap. If an essential oil has been adulterated with synthetics it could cause more harm than good. If an oil price looks too good to be true, then it probably is. If all their oils are within the same price range then this is also a red flag for impurities. With any oils that are suggested to you, research the company, look for reviews. That's how I found Plant Therapy! :)

Wow, oh wow! I'm very excited and extremely grateful I stumbled upon this website. All of you have been opening up my eyes to new opportunities and things I've never have thought of. It's so nice to have such experienced people watching over me and helping me out!

Thanks!

Your biggest problem is FDA which is federal and state law does not supersede federal, no matter how you want to twist it around. Do not count on it being considered alternative medicine.

You're completely right, I definitely shouldn't rely on loopholes. That's a sure way to say my business isn't reputable. I'm about to do some research on the FDA and their regulations.

Thank you for the help!

Welcome, Jessica. You impress me as a highly motivated entrepreneur.

Cmzaha is absolutely correct. Even if your state or even city ordinances or even your school district is okay with certain practices, a seller runs serious risks ignoring federal regulations.

In my profession (before retirement) one of my responsibilities was to learn all regulations pertaining to our facility and ensuring that our staff knew exactly what was required in order to be in compliance with the strictest of those regulations.

That is the bottom line when it comes to dealing with multiple sets of rules and regulations for any business. How many sets of regulations might you need to consider? In the US, federal, state, county (example: health department), district (in your case, school district), local (This could be city ordinances or in your case, perhaps your specific school.) Now if you learn all the rules and regs for ach entity as it pertains to your product and your selling, then you will be able to determine which of those are the strictest. And by that I mean the strictest of each individual regulation. Sometimes, the feds are less strict on one aspect, but the state is more strict. You adhere to the State reg in that case. But in another reg, you may find the State is very lenient on another reg, but the Fed is much more restrictive; in this case you adhere to the Federal reg.

Now, of course, as a minor, maybe you can get away with making a few mistakes along the way and be forgiven. But 15 is almost an adult and as long as you are doing business as if you are an adult, following best manufacturing practices and complying with all the pertinent regulations will carry you through should you run into any problems with your product or clientele.

In fact, might I suggest another step not yet suggested? Since you are selling to kids who you say have 'certain problems' (vague, but this could indicate diagnosis, which is a red flag) a product containing Essential Oils that MAY have IFRA restrictions in addition to the potential for sensitivities and allergic reactions, I suggest you look into insurance to protect you, and your parents from a possible lawsuit. Perhaps a rider to your parents homeowners insurance would be a possibility. Assuming you still live with your parents and are not an emancipated minor.

I'm loving how all of you are pointing out things that I haven't noticed and I'll make sure to steer clear of FDA laws and things such as that.

I've been using spices, such as cloves, rosemary and thyme, in place of essential oils until I find a supplier that fits my needs.

While I know spices may not be as affective, they're certainly safer in higher doses (and still release the scents that may help with headaches, fatigue, etc. We do not have proven results, other than the feedback from clients. All clients and guardians must sign a contract stating that they understand we do not provide guaranteed results and the we are not liable to being sued from the things listed in the contract. We list all of our ingredients and it only costs up to $3.00 for the slime. I simply want to try to stimulate the brain into focusing and try to relieve some of the stress [undiagnosed] my peers face when studying or when exams are fast approaching). I've stated in a company contract that we can not diagnose and treat said diagnosis unless provided with a note by a doctor. I do use my parents homeowners insurance as of now, and probably will not have the insurance later in life to cover such a small business that could not support the billing of the insurance company. This business is merely to give me some extra cash to help with school and extracurricular fees.

I will definitely be looking over my contract to make sure I do even come close to violating state and federal laws.

Loving the replies so far! Thank you so much and please respond if you have any other things you wish to discuss!

What you're doing is really awesome! When looking for quality Essential oils, do your research. I knew as well that there had to be more affordable pure oils other than young living or doterra. And there are! I use Plant Therapy, their oils are pure, backed by Robert Tisserand, they have certified aromatherapists on staff to answer questions, they have a great reward program, specials, etc. Eden's Garden is also good. NOW is another affordable option for pure oils and they can be found in many local health stores. :)
Haha -- striking a line through YL and DoTerra is fun! I second Plant Therapy, Eden's Garden, and NOW brand from the health food store. However, I'm wary of aromatherapy sites that claim "therapeutic" grade. Ain't no sech thang. But it enables them to charge more. I've been very happy with the quality of Sun Pure Botanicals essential oils ever since I first started using them four years ago, but the advice on buying on Ebay is well taken.

Haha -- striking a line through YL and DoTerra is fun! I second Plant Therapy, Eden's Garden, and NOW brand from the health food store. However, I'm wary of aromatherapy sites that claim "therapeutic" grade. Ain't no sech thang. But it enables them to charge more. I've been very happy with the quality of Sun Pure Botanicals essential oils ever since I first started using them four years ago, but the advice on buying on Ebay is well taken.

I'll take this advice to heart!

I love all of the ideas you're giving me right now. I'm not terribly smart, though. Nonetheless, eco friendly is the way I try to live my life, so ditching a glue base is something I would love to do! Oh gosh, I'm going to have to do some research.

Thanks!

Thanks for the information, I'll be sure to check them out!

Wow, oh wow! I'm very excited and extremely grateful I stumbled upon this website. All of you have been opening up my eyes to new opportunities and things I've never have thought of. It's so nice to have such experienced people watching over me and helping me out!

Thanks!

You're completely right, I definitely shouldn't rely on loopholes. That's a sure way to say my business isn't reputable. I'm about to do some research on the FDA and their regulations.

Thank you for the help!

I'm loving how all of you are pointing out things that I haven't noticed and I'll make sure to steer clear of FDA laws and things such as that.

I've been using spices, such as cloves, rosemary and thyme, in place of essential oils until I find a supplier that fits my needs.

While I know spices may not be as affective, they're certainly safer in higher doses (and still release the scents that may help with headaches, fatigue, etc. We do not have proven results, other than the feedback from clients. All clients and guardians must sign a contract stating that they understand we do not provide guaranteed results and the we are not liable to being sued from the things listed in the contract. We list all of our ingredients and it only costs up to $3.00 for the slime. I simply want to try to stimulate the brain into focusing and try to relieve some of the stress [undiagnosed] my peers face when studying or when exams are fast approaching). I've stated in a company contract that we can not diagnose and treat said diagnosis unless provided with a note by a doctor. I do use my parents homeowners insurance as of now, and probably will not have the insurance later in life to cover such a small business that could not support the billing of the insurance company. This business is merely to give me some extra cash to help with school and extracurricular fees.

I will definitely be looking over my contract to make sure I do even come close to violating state and federal laws.

Loving the replies so far! Thank you so much and please respond if you have any other things you wish to discuss!
Have your parents called their insurance company to verify that what you are doing is covered? Reason I ask is, let's say someone has some kind of reaction to your product and decide they want to sue you. Homeowners insurance typically doesn't cover things like that. That's more along the lines of Business Liability Insurance. Waiver or no, if they decide to sue, you ARE going to court! Court is NOT cheap!

Regardless of signing an agreement, if someone has an adverse reaction you could be sued. I haven’t found a homeowners policy that would cover that kind of thing. Mind you I haven’t checked all of them but gave up and got professional insurance. Your family could lose everything. Making claims is walking a very dangerous line.

Have your parents called their insurance company to verify that what you are doing is covered? Reason I ask is, let's say someone has some kind of reaction to your product and decide they want to sue you. Homeowners insurance typically doesn't cover things like that. That's more along the lines of Business Liability Insurance. Waiver or no, if they decide to sue, you ARE going to court! Court is NOT cheap!

Though I doubt I will be sued, maybe I should just stop my business.

Regardless of signing an agreement, if someone has an adverse reaction you could be sued. I haven’t found a homeowners policy that would cover that kind of thing. Mind you I haven’t checked all of them but gave up and got professional insurance. Your family could lose everything. Making claims is walking a very dangerous line.

I suppose I should take out each and every claim in my contract. I suppose I could just sell it as scented slime and nothing more.

As others have said. The FDA takes things like claims seriously. It crosses from crafting to drugs. I make zero claims. Not going there.
Me either. FDA can and will find the little guy, they did us. Thank goodness we apparently passed their scrutiny. Please do not take age lightly, you put your parents in a precarious position if anything happens or someone files a complaint

Back