I think I may have an OCD but loving it.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Around the middle of May I made my first CPOP soap. Since then I have made 19 more soaps... CP, CPOP and HP soaps. All small batches of course. I mainly use the crafters choice 1501 mold and another one half that size. I've also done 6 M&P soaps which is something I've done on and off for years.

So, my hubby says I've developed an obsessive compulsive disorder! :roll: Now I'm hiding the soap I make!!! I don't think I'm fooling him one bit though since he keeps asking "Whats that smell?" Especially when he walks past the linen closet and I have to keep the door open a little so the air can circulate in there and when he's not home I have the fan blowing in the closet! It's so hard to keep a straight face sometimes! LOL

Has anyone else dealt with comments from their other half? Don't get me wrong, he's a great husband but I'm starting to worry about the comments.

I Really enjoy trying out different recipes, fragrance oils, essential oil blends and natural additives. I love it! :-D I'll be happy to start giving away the first ones made in a week or two.

haha I'm not married yet but my dad just doesn't get my obsession and my mom is upset about me taking over half her kitchen, so I know how you feel, haha. I did MP for a while but once I started CP I just couldn't resist... and the last few days I've been in and out of the backyard with mask, goggles and gloves mixing away. I have about 32 bars curing atm and it just makes me feel so alive hahaha.

My devoted husband has no room to complain. He brews beer, which is more time consuming and expensive iif you ask me. I think he's just happy that I have my own hobby that keeps me entertained and off his back! I throw him a bone once in awhile by soaping with one of his beers or using a masculine scent that he likes. So far it is working pretty good!

Corinne, I know what your saying about the kitchen. Gary (hubby) has asked more times then I can remember to get the kitchen back. He loves to cook and our kitchen is just to small for both of us to work in.

My devoted husband has no room to complain. He brews beer, which is more time consuming and expensive iif you ask me. I think he's just happy that I have my own hobby that keeps me entertained and off his back! I throw him a bone once in awhile by soaping with one of his beers or using a masculine scent that he likes. So far it is working pretty good!

That's a good idea about the masculine soap. I've made a couple but they need more time to cure so he has no clue yet.

It sounds like you're turning into a true soaper, Val! lol

In the beginning, it was like my hubby was just counting the days until my soaping obsession ran it's course and fizzled out (like so many of my other hobbies that came and went before), but it's been almost 9 solid years of soaping now, and I'm still totally besotted with it. It's become a way of life now, like eating or breathing. lol

Oh, hubby still counts the days, but only as it relates to how many days his soap has left of curing. :lol: He's so spoiled now and hates it when he runs out of my soap.

IrishLass :)

I don't see anything wrong with having a soaping OCD issue! Lol. Out of desperation and to get me (and my lye solutions) out of the kitchen, my hubby built me a soaping area. He has his workshop (archery man-cave) so I think he felt a bit guilty. His guilt is my gain. Maybe this forum should be re-named "OCD Soapers". Welcome to the addiction! :wave:

Yeah I talked to my dad this evening and he was like "Uh, I don't really like you doing all your mixing and such in the kitchen..." (I mix the lye and oils in the backyard, but bring it in before it hits trace so I can add in anything extra in the kitchen when it does) and he basically was like "Can you do it all in the backyard?" It's just so much more convenient with a clean countertop and everything I need in the kitchen...

Ironically, I seriously think soap is going to be the deciding factor in me moving out finally. And if it keeps having success in sales, it may pay my way through college as well, haha.

So being OCD about soap is not necessarily a negative thing.

Yeah I talked to my dad this evening and he was like "Uh, I don't really like you doing all your mixing and such in the kitchen..." (I mix the lye and oils in the backyard, but bring it in before it hits trace so I can add in anything extra in the kitchen when it does) and he basically was like "Can you do it all in the backyard?" It's just so much more convenient with a clean countertop and everything I need in the kitchen...

Ironically, I seriously think soap is going to be the deciding factor in me moving out finally. And if it keeps having success in sales, it may pay my way through college as well, haha.

So being OCD about soap is not necessarily a negative thing.

Corrine, can I make a suggestion and ask you to hold off selling as you have only made 4 batches and are still learning, you don't know how your soap holds up after an extended period of time. I just saw your post in the photo gallery with this comment -

My friend was kind enough to place some faith in me and order 4 loaves of soap as gifts for the Muslim holiday. This is one of the 4 kinds I made for him.
You might like to read this - http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=16002

Giving them way is a different issue - to get feedback.

I think my husband really loves it when I get a big soap making explosion. Then I'm out of his hair and he can play video games.
Only thing he says now and again is that it costs money. Luckily I've been able to sell just enough to keep buying supplies while only needing to use a small amount out of pocket.

My husband too thought it was just another hobby. It's been almost 4 years now and he's been super supportive. We turned our spare bedroom (only have 2) into my soaping storage, curing etc...he just shares it as that's his closet and his dresser is in there. He's built all my molds, wire multi bar cutter, soap displays etc. He also never complains too much because of the constant stack of supplies in the kitchen since I make soap as often as I can.

I think my husband really loves it when I get a big soap making explosion. Then I'm out of his hair and he can play video games.
Only thing he says now and again is that it costs money. Luckily I've been able to sell just enough to keep buying supplies while only needing to use a small amount out of pocket.

I have to soap when no one is home or late at night when everyone is in bed just so I can concentrate on what I am doing! My brain doesn't like to multi task anymore :shock: lol

My husband too thought it was just another hobby. It's been almost 4 years now and he's been super supportive. We turned our spare bedroom (only have 2) into my soaping storage, curing etc...he just shares it as that's his closet and his dresser is in there. He's built all my molds, wire multi bar cutter, soap displays etc. He also never complains too much because of the constant stack of supplies in the kitchen since I make soap as often as I can.

Yep... I've done many hobbies to and that's most likely what he's waiting for is the novelty to ware off.

I'll be giving him a bar of the first soap I made, its a little over two months old now. We'll see how he likes it. I used a bar of it last night and it feels so darn good on my skin, nice and bubbly and the scent was still on my skin a couple hours later. It's a sandalwood and sweet patchouli scent with lots of sandalwood powder in it.

Mine loves the soaps and the after shave I made for him. He is currently building for me place in the basement, It is telling me that he has enough. With the lotions i take possession of the kitchen for two to three hours:)))

I make mine in the pantry (ours is not big but sort of like a walk-in-closet of sorts), it has a door, so I close that when there are people around so I can focus. I do try to make it at night. Now it's summer and my 8yr old is always home so I've just given in and decided to make it during the day. I mix my lye outside, and tell everyone not to come around kitchen, pantry or deck LOL. It's like "mommy is making soap again".

I have to soap when no one is home or late at night when everyone is in bed just so I can concentrate on what I am doing! My brain doesn't like to multi task anymore :shock: lol

same here! my fave time for soaping is when everyone else is asleep and i have the house all to myself. all nice and quiet.. best!

Last edited:
Me too. My usual time for making soap is late at night into the wee hours of the morning. It's peaceful and quiet (except for the occasional whir of my stickblender), and I can concentrate without any distractions. It's wonderful!

IrishLass :)

I just started making CP soap and the hubby helped me every time so far :D I think he is enjoying it as much as I am. When I mentioned making one of our extra bedrooms downstairs into a "soap room" It didn't sound like he was that thrilled with the idea (because I wouldn't be close to him) LOL And he even cleans up everything for me when were done making the soap! He wanted to make more tonight but we don't have our fragrance or colors yet so it would be yet another plain batch! LOL He did collect a few burdock leaves to make our soap green but that still left us scentless :( He also let me order over 200 bucks in soap stuff which he was in on when searching for what we wanted. I love that man! OH and he is REALLY good at making things! He made my mold for me and it making a cutter or me as well. :clap:

My hubby is super supportive also :) He makes little comments but just to tease me on how much I talk about it and soap curing everywhere. I just started about 2 months ago. He thought it was funny that I made multiple batches in one day. It is so ADDICTING!:Kitten Love:

Back