I still have questions after reading up on CP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Momonga

Reaction score
So I've read and read and watched videos on YouTube and DVD, but I still have so many questions. Maybe you all can fill the blanks in my brain?

1. How low can I go with temp? Can I mix my lye solution in the morning before work, and then come back in the evening and combine with the oils when everything is at room temp (about 65* F)? If so, are there particular challenges? If not, can I warm things back up in the microwave?

2. Can I use phenonip or other preservatives in my soap so I can use higher lye discount? Or just because I'm worried that rotting is just one more thing that can go wrong... I'm not sure how effective grapefruit oil will be.

3. I love some of the gorgeous textured tops I've seen here, like Calichan's beautiful caramel soap. How long do I wait after I've poured to be able to do something like that?

Hi there, maybe I can help.

1. How low can I go with temp? Can I mix my lye solution in the morning before work, and then come back in the evening and combine with the oils when everything is at room temp (about 65* F)? If so, are there particular challenges? If not, can I warm things back up in the microwave?

You can definitely mix your lye in the morning before you go to work and just let it sit. I do it all the time. In fact I sometimes mix mine the day before. If you are using hard oils you might need to warm them up a bit to make sure they are properly incorporated with your soft oils. Never reheat your lye, especially in the microwave. :Kitten Love: Just give it a stir and it will warm up a bit again.

2. Can I use phenonip or other preservatives in my soap so I can use higher lye discount? Or just because I'm worried that rotting is just one more thing that can go wrong... I'm not sure how effective grapefruit oil will be.

Soap by it's very nature does not require any type of preservative due to high pH. There is some discussion about Liquid Soap & Cream Soap but I have been assured by a Safety Assessor in the UK that it isn't required there either.

3. I love some of the gorgeous textured tops I've seen here, like Calichan's beautiful caramel soap. How long do I wait after I've poured to be able to do something like that?

Once you have poured your soap, depending on thick you pour at, you may be able to do it immediately. I usually pour at light trace because I am playing with layers and swirling so I have to wait a few minutes.

Another trick for you is once you have down your fancy tops to spray them with rubbing alcohol 90%.

I hope this helps.

I would just make sure that your lye water is *clearly* marked for anyone who is around when you are not.
Pretty much what Lindy says. And take a Nancy today youtube video with a grain of salt if you watch her. Unless she has gotten better.

Nancy Today is good for a laugh, but NOT for soap instruction. For safe instruction on basics, I recommend SoapQueen on YouTube. Anne Marie (or whatever her name is) may be a bit "sweet" but she does sound, safe instruction. Just look for her stuff on cold process.

Why don't you start with a small batch of cp just to get your own system? Everyone has different ways they set up and clean up. You can pick one and try it out and see how it works for you. You don't have to have fragrance or color to start with. A can of crisco, a bottle of lye from Ace or Menards, some water and presto, soap. Don't forget to use a lye calculator. I think the most needed is scale and stick blender (both at walmart).

Hihi,

There is no issue with you mixing your lye before hand first. Personally i keep my oil temperature at 50degree celcius and my lye at 45degree celcius when I mix them together.

I will never place my premix lye in the microwave to heat up. Itz dangerous as you will make the lye explode. I usually place the container containing my lye in a basin of hot water to heat up the lye and stirring the lye will also increase itz temparature.

In addition, if you are doing premix lye, kept them properly and out of reach of children. They are highly dangerous, please handle with care.

I will never place my premix lye in the microwave to heat up. Itz dangerous as you will make the lye explode. I usually place the container containing my lye in a basin of hot water to heat up the lye and stirring the lye will also increase itz temparature.

Never reheat your lye, especially in the microwave. :Kitten Love: Just give it a stir and it will warm up a bit again.

Well, see, that's a handy-dandy bit of information that might fit nicely into my soapmaking books... Thank you for that. And thanks all for the advice. I think I will try a small simple batch just to get started, so I can get a feel for the equipment, procedures, trace (It looks like finding the right trace is like finding neutral on the clutch when you're learning to drive stick). That one, you will not get pictures! I'll post my second batch, which will be scented and colored and absolutely magnificent! Maybe.

I have mostly watched the Soap Queen videos and also Eden's Secret, so I think I am in good hands with those two.

Thanks, Lindy, for the detailed response!

BTW, I am very blessed to have my own work room now in a remote, otherwise unoccupied part of the house. To get to my lye and lye solutions, the baby will have to defeat two doors (with rubber baby-proof thingies on the doorknobs), a baby gate, a staircase, and a locked baby-proof box. Kitty is also not allowed, and husband has no more than feigned interest (but will receive training anyway).

Hihi Momonga, I have attached an example of a soap trace here. So basically is mixing the oil and lye till a stage where the mixture thickens and you are able to draw an '8' (or some other things that you prefer) and the 'drawing' not sinking back to the mixture immediately.

Soap Trace.jpg

That looks like a pretty thick trace. The problem with waiting until you have thick trace is that the soap is now moving along pretty good and you can end up with air bubbles in your soap. You still want to be able to see your figure 8 but not quite as thickly as that.

Now having said that we each have our own preferred pouring thickness and you will find which one works for you. I personally find that if I wait to get to that thick, separating and colouring can become problematic. You will find your preferred trace (light, medium or thick) by playing. I don't recommend a thin trace for your pour yet because you need to learn to recognize when trace is happening.

Yeap indeed. I guess they have to thicken it for the book. If not, will be hard to take the pictures. But just to show you what is meant by a trace.

As for the bubbles per Lindy, I am not so sure. I seldom really get bubbles because I use the manual beater to stir my soaps. Unless my formula calls for longer stirring, I will alternate between manual and electronic. But I do not use a stick blender, so I do not really mix in lots of air in my soaps.

There are a few different ways to soap. One is called Master Batching where you make up lye and water mixture for a week or more and store it. Another is called Room Temp where you let lye and water cool down to room temp and oils too after melted. You might want to read this site for it describes many of the different ways to make soap. http://www.millersoap.com/

Hoegarden - some people have endless problems with bubbles and have to thump their moulds a lot to avoid it and others seldom have any problems. Because I swirl in the mould I do like it thinner and it is really, really rare I end up with bubbles. The times I have are when trace got ahead of me and it has thickened up immensely. I do use a SB to start my batch to get everyone well incorporated but switch to a whisk afterwards when adding fragrance and splitting off for colour.

nebetmiw I like to masterbatch and then pour off what I need for each batch. Works a dream. And like you said there are soooo many right ways to soap and only a few wrong..... ;)

Agreed. If you go on YouTube there are other great soapmakers (Celine of IAMHomemade) who share how to do swirls. Amanda of Love Soap http://www.lovinsoap.com/ also has some fantastic tutorials as well. What I like about Soaping 101 is she is very good at showing how to soap.

I expect we all have our favourites... Please don't get me wrong, she is good, just not my preferred. But then again we could be looking for different things. There are some I watch for pure entertainment value.....

Latest posts

Back