I sold my first soaps!! happy!!! :-)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeRabbit

Reaction score
for a woman whom I know and love but is not a close friend!!! she bought on CP GM and honey (wow probablly for a good reason!! it is the best one ever)
and ALSO she bought jojoba- rosmary- HAPPYYYYYYYY
:D

That is so awesome. My boss bought 8 bars of unscented soap the other day. Kinda boring with unscented but hooray for first sales!

-Ken

congrats, it feels great. I just started to sell a few here and there, just to support my hobby.When people tell me, their skin feels so much better, or the shower smells so good....there is nothing better. :)

That is great.

I've been still giving away to testers. I do have a craft fair on Sept. 11th to help sponsor a local dance schools trip to Germany.

I made my first batch of soap on 4/23/2011. My base has been pretty much the same since I started and have made 93lbs of soap so far.

Ruth, how do you know how well and for how long your soaps will hold up? My first batches started developing DOS at about 6 months and BOY was I embarrassed since I'd started selling to people I worked with. OMG it was bad - worse that no one wanted to tell me, so they were whispering about it. And I didn't do my research so the products at my first fair ended up sweating through the paper packaging I had on some, and sweating inside the plastic wrappings I used. Double disaster since the soaps got DOS in customers' homes.

DOS and fragrance fading are problems, packaging that doesn't hold up, all sorts of things should be considered. There are more, but I"m at work and am supposed to be working on a report now...

Not just practice, but TIME for stability testing - absolutely key.
:oops:

Hello moderator,
will that be a report you will put here on smf? It sounds very interesting and I think it would keep many people (including my self!) from doing over rushed or stupid things...

oh - that report is for my day job. not soaping related.

I do have the data from my stability testing - and includes stuff like formulas, suppliers, ingredient dates (purchased, opened, expired, storage conditions), packaging, curing times, curing conditions, storage conditions of finished soaps, inks, labels, shipping (including distance, time, likely conditions experienced). But to be honest - that stuff was expensive to come by and took years to compile and it was too much of an investment to share except on the most general level. Like: keep canola oil to a minimum, don't cure on chromed shelves, and heat & humidity promote DOS - that I will happily tell you. But the details, not so much unless it's an involved discussion that evolves naturally and provides me benefit too... you know?

There is a post about what to consider before selling - I'm sure someone can point it out but I'm posting with my blackberry and navigating is a pain.

I went ahead and searched for that thread- and read it in and out- thanks for posting all that info!!! I definatly read and learn so much!!! this is wonderful!

to make everything clear- this woman is someone whom I know and she is a friend and not a stranger, it will be a long time before I sell to strangers...
I only sold her for ingridient price, which is a decision I made a few days ago because so many friends wanted to try my soaps and I also have so many extra soaps from my brand new addiction, if I will not cover my costs I will definatly be in a very bad situation... and I cannot give so many free soaps and stay economical with this

I also keep serios notes about my soaps (because as I said- an addict!) and you just gave me more stuff to write down and remember, great!!! thank you thank you!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back