I need your help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudsnbubbles

Reaction score
I have a cousin who used to buy lye soap from an Amish store and used it for stains in her laundry, the way I understood her she rubbed the soap on the stain, didn't actually use it in the washer. Anyway, she wants me to make some for her. Would that just be reg. CP soap and what oils would I use?
Thanks!

sudsnbubbles said:
I have a cousin who used to buy lye soap from an Amish store and used it for stains in her laundry, the way I understood her she rubbed the soap on the stain, didn't actually use it in the washer. Anyway, she wants me to make some for her. Would that just be reg. CP soap and what oils would I use?
Thanks!

Plain CO with a very low superfat should do the trick. (and yes, regular CP would work. You could also do HP )

There is a great thread in the Soap Making Recipes and Tutorials board that was posted by MikeInPdx on this subject. It's under Great Grandma's Turpentine Soap....stain stick.

Here are the ingredients and directions:
2.2 oz lye
6 oz water
1 lb lard
1.6 oz turpentine substitute (found in art supplies--Turpenoid is one brand)

Stir lye into cold water....let stand until just warm.
Melt lard and cool to about 100 degrees.
Pour lye water into lard and stir or stick blend to light trace.
Add turpentine substitute and stir to full trace.
Pour into molds and insulate or oven process as usual. A tube mold makes a great stain stick shape.
Unmold and cut.

Directions for Use
Dampen stain with plain water.
Rub stain soap into stain thoroughly.
Let stand from 5 minutes to a couple of days.
Wash as usual.

Thanks MikeInPdx for this great recipe!!!!

Latest posts

Back