I need help with a Shea Butter M&P base

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piedpipurr

Reaction score
I was using a white Crystal soap base and had no problems with it. I decided to order a Shea Butter base from the Chemical store since they are close to me so the shipping would be better. It is also a Crystal brand base. I am having problems melting the Shea base. It is very creamy and almost foamy when melted. It starts to harden up before it can cool down enough to put my fragrance in to it. I made a batch last night to put in a log mold using a double boiler. Today I tried another batch using the microwave hoping that would make a difference. It was actually worse. It was so foamy when I poured it that a lot of it stuck to the Pyrex cup. I had melted 40 ounces and it only gave me 35 ounces in my mold after it was poured because so much of it was left behind after pouring. Please help me try to figure out what I can do with this stuff since I am now the owner of 50 pounds. Yikes!

You might want to contact the suppleier who sold it to you and see if they have answers. I use SFIC shea butter base & have not run into any of
have any of those problems. If it is foaming, that sould like you are getting it too hot, over cooking it. As for the other issues I am unsure.

I also use the same brand as tabs but it sounds like something is wrong with your base. It's more work but always a good idea to try out a base in small increments before purchasing a lot. I learned that valuable lesson too many times! LOL Sorry that it may not be working but contact the store maybe the base is organic and there are special instructions to melting?

Back