I need a replacement for palm oil can i use trex or cookeen

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debbs

Reaction score
Hi i need a repalcement for palm oil can i use trex or cookeen i know in on soapcalc is has crisco but iam in the uk. would trex or cookeen be a replacement, and if i use soapcalc what would i put it in as crisco and would i use the same amount in a receipe as i would for palm oil :?

Substitute for Palm Oil

I'd use lard, the numbers are about the same in soap calc. It's easy to get, inexpensive and people have be making soap with lard for a thousand years.
js

As far as I can work out, Trex is very likely to be made of palm oil itself. I tried to do it without palm by using Trex but then I found out it's probably palm. I tried emailing them but they wouldn't answer my question.. I've gone for the palm oil with a 'sustainability statement' from the manufacturer for now. No idea what's in cookeen..

Ok so if i use trex shall i put it into the soapcalc as palm oil. :)

I will also try lard, but some people dont like animal products in soap, I personally dont mind.

Thanks for your answer. :)

Hi,

I use Cookeen from Tesco and I enter it in Soapcalc as Crisco, Old as I haven't found Cookeen to have any palm in the ingredients list.
Hope this helps

Faru

Hi Debbs, After reading one book it said class veg lard similar to Soybean hydrogenated.

So for past few years have been using trex in soap calc as
Soybean, 27.5% hydrogenated. Its always works out well with other oils added. Lathers really creamy.

Hi Jerry, Trex is a veg lard sold in uk , but instead of it being hard it feels light and fluffy not quite as solid in texture as lard.

So in a receipe where say you used 30% palm oil you would use the same amount of Trex. :)

Faru how does your soap turn out using cookeen, and do you also use the same amount of cookeen as your receipe says for palm oil. :)

Thanks all, lots of interesting answers. I purchased vegtable gee once, on the ingrediants it said pure palm oil . But now on ingrediants on veg gee it just say vegetable oils bit confusing, vegetable gee is very cheap here in the uk in asian shops, wouldnt know what to put it in as on soapcalc thoe.

Hi debbs,

My soap turns out quite nice and creamy but I dont substitute it for the Palm.
Using Cookeen allows me to use less of olive and palm oil.

I have recently made a batch with Cookeen and no Olive but only 1.5% Palm kernal Oil as I ran out of Olive and Palm oil. But I havent made any without using palm oil yet. Will let you know how this batch turns.

Latest posts

Back