I made tooth soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

judymoody

Reaction score
I read a bunch of threads recently on tooth soap (soap buddy, as always, was incredibly helpful) and thought I'd try to make some. Especially after reading the ingredients list on my regular toothpaste - hmm, SLS, lye.....

I used mostly OO, some babassu, flavored with lip-safe spearmint EO, xylitol added, 5% SF. In a month or so, I'll report back.

It was also my first time soaping 40% lye solution, fun times.

I will look forward to hearing your results. Something I have been thinking about.

Soap buddy, tell us more-- does it taste like soap? What do you like more about it?

Have you ever used the co, glycerin, baking soda version and if so, what makes you chose tooth soap over that? I have not tried either, just reading options,

Thanks!

ToniD said:
I will look forward to hearing your results. Something I have been thinking about.

Soap buddy, tell us more-- does it taste like soap? What do you like more about it?

Have you ever used the co, glycerin, baking soda version and if so, what makes you chose tooth soap over that? I have not tried either, just reading options,

Thanks!
My formula doesn't taste soapy. I get great dental check-ups. My mouth and teeth don't end up feeling sticky in the morning. My teeth feel cleaner.

I tried the baking soda at al and I'll take tooth soap any day. Baking soda made me gag.

It's solid CP soap. You can cut it or mold it into little cubes and swipe your toothbrush over it. Or you can shred it and use a tiny shred when you brush. I will probably divide my batch into the two forms and see how I like it. I used a mailing tube as a mold because with the high % of OO, I wanted it to gel to speed curing time.

Coconut oil is supposed to taste nasty. PKO is supposed to be better. I thought I'd give babassu a whirl.

A search on tooth soap here and in the teach soap forum yielded lots of hits.

Tooth soap! This is the first time I'm hearing about this.

Does it taste like soap too? That'd be nasty. Doing the zap test was already bleurgh. To coat the entire insides of my mouth with soap is... em.

mavalia said:
Tooth soap! This is the first time I'm hearing about this.

Does it taste like soap too? That'd be nasty. Doing the zap test was already bleurgh. To coat the entire insides of my mouth with soap is... em.
Properly made, no, it doesn't taste like regular soap.

This is too new to taste so I can't comment. But I actually don't mind the taste of soap - it's generally the FOs that taste nasty.

I made an unscented baby bastille soap (90% OO and 10% babassu) a few months back and it pretty much tastes like salt. Not bad at all.

Latest posts

Back