I know I shouldn't do this

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

campbellsoap

Reaction score
I am making soap for the first time since last fall. I changed up my formula a little different

lard 70% caster oil 8% coconut oil 12% OO 10%
6.38 oz of Lye 8 oz of water 10 oz buttermilk 2 oz calming water FO

If went to trace really really fast before I added the FO. It normally takes for ever for it to trace. I poured it into the mold.

Now what I shouldn't have done. While cleaning up I got a little soap off the pan and rubbed it in my hands and washed my hands. My hands are really really dry now. I have done this in the past and it didn't dry out in fact it makes my hands soft. The only difference in the past I use goat's milk.

Was this just too soon or do you think my soap is lye heavy?

Sorry, what's the total weight of your oils?

Is the lye the same brand you've used before?

total weight was 3 lbs of oil

I bought this lye back in the spring. This was a new bottle.

you washed with soap fresh from the soaping bowl?

HP or CP?

if HP, then dunno. but rub your hands with some shea butter - it's miraculous.

Ouch. When you get raw soap on you, your must wash it off immediately, don't rub it into your hands - ever, and certainly don't zap test it with your tongue because it's not ready yet. :shock:

Should still be wearing gloves for cleanup. Raw soap...not good, for you or the pipes. Learned that the hard way.

Agreed on the raw soap & cleaning with rubber gloves (lye crystals running around the lye pot still hurt!), however, I got raw soap on my hands last night after trying to move a log that was poured at a very thin trace & luckily it didn't dry or hurt my hands. I use goat milk and I didn't rub it in, I just picked up my mess and rinsed very very well with water.

glenolam said:
Agreed on the raw soap & cleaning with rubber gloves (lye crystals running around the lye pot still hurt!), however, I got raw soap on my hands last night after trying to move a log that was poured at a very thin trace & luckily it didn't dry or hurt my hands. I use goat milk and I didn't rub it in, I just picked up my mess and rinsed very very well with water.

Ya, it's not gonna burn a hole through you like acid; just might sting and washing it off is fine. The area above my gloves on my wrists usually stings while I'm washing up. Sure wouldn't clean up bare-handed.

Back