I keep seeing and hearing this a lot...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And - because my mind won’t shut off on this topic - if you’ve read my other posts then you know Sally and Bonnie -

There are some Bonnie’s out there that dream of becoming a Sally! Your marketing campaign plays directly to who she aspires to be - and for only $8-$10 - you can make her feel like a Sally - if only in the shower!

There are also Sallies that aspire or circumstances dictate that she become more like Bonnie - market to her and you can help her become more cost conscious while still providing a good product at a good price!

Last edited:
I keep crossing posts saying that there is not a lot of money in soap making because there is too much competition.

Am I the only one who feels that only you (and maybe your higher power) have the power to change that mindset? I honestly feel that if you perfect your craft, and have your own uniqueness about it, there's no telling how high you can soar. I'm just being honest. What do you think?
I agree I'm just starting out and I'm a little afraid of that myself however I do know from past sales experience is that what makes the product sell is one my knowledge of it to how I present it and 3 knowing your Market. And of course sticking with it I don't expect to be a great success overnight but I do believe that I apply myself and learn and apply what I learn I will be a success.

I agree I'm just starting out and I'm a little afraid of that myself however I do know from past sales experience is that what makes the product sell is one my knowledge of it to how I present it and 3 knowing your Market. And of course sticking with it I don't expect to be a great success overnight but I do believe that I apply myself and learn and apply what I learn I will be a success.
Great thoughts! Keep in mind product knowledge and sales ability skills can only be applied ONCE you have the customer. Marketing and sales are 2 very different things. You can be a great talker with lots of product knowledge - but if you don’t have a potential customer - you’d be talking to the wind. Marketing works in conjunction with sales - but neither can replace the other and can not exist without the other. Unless you are just a salesperson - when in that case - someone else has done the marketing for you and gotten that person in the door and standing in front of you. I have LOTS of thoughts on selling and how to make the sale, upsell, etc too but that’s another topic!

Doing my usual researching 15 things at once, I came across this video that you might find super interesting. :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is such a great topic and frankly the answer may not be the same for everyone. I have been making soap for over a decade. I am also an herbalist. I love making all of my products. But even though I love making soap, frankly it is not my money maker. Don't get me wrong - I sell plenty of soap. But all of my other concoctions are where the money is for me. My herbalist business has taken me to my "happy place" as I have a serious education and respect for plant medicine. And as we all know, herbs as medicine in soap is just not true. I make 5 soap recipes that took me years to perfect and the clients I have wont buy any others. That is the sweet spot in this business. Repeat Customers. I did one show/market in almost 12 years. I didn't like it and never did it again. My etsy store does well but my local clients that come here to pick up products is the bulk of my business. Now granted I do not make a living from this. I am retired and have other money. It is more of a hobby to me for the most part. I sell my products to be able to buy more ingredients and to keep making product.

So with all of that being said - I think if this had to be my main source of income, I would not be doing it. At 64 Im not interested in working that hard anymore Time to rest and enjoy other things. I worked my whole life in a stress heavy career.

This business is saturated and frankly the products out there aren't great. Many consumers are turned off. So I don't know. I feel it has changed. You have to be able to not make any money for a long time to give it a shot. And work hard and promote your products.

This is such a great topic and frankly the answer may not be the same for everyone. I have been making soap for over a decade. I am also an herbalist. I love making all of my products. But even though I love making soap, frankly it is not my money maker. Don't get me wrong - I sell plenty of soap. But all of my other concoctions are where the money is for me. My herbalist business has taken me to my "happy place" as I have a serious education and respect for plant medicine. And as we all know, herbs as medicine in soap is just not true. I make 5 soap recipes that took me years to perfect and the clients I have wont buy any others. That is the sweet spot in this business. Repeat Customers. I did one show/market in almost 12 years. I didn't like it and never did it again. My etsy store does well but my local clients that come here to pick up products is the bulk of my business. Now granted I do not make a living from this. I am retired and have other money. It is more of a hobby to me for the most part. I sell my products to be able to buy more ingredients and to keep making product.

So with all of that being said - I think if this had to be my main source of income, I would not be doing it. At 64 Im not interested in working that hard anymore Time to rest and enjoy other things. I worked my whole life in a stress heavy career.

This business is saturated and frankly the products out there aren't great. Many consumers are turned off. So I don't know. I feel it has changed. You have to be able to not make any money for a long time to give it a shot. And work hard and promote your products.
The market has changed in the last few years. When we started, approx 9 years ago it was mainly my daughter's business with her husband helping because he could not find work. Most sales were online with a customer base of 300+ which came from purchasing mailing lists, doing mailings, supplying some of the companies that sent out monthly boxes, daily promoting on the computer. They did make a living but had no time to do anything else. There were times we packaged up 500 samples for a promoting company. These type promotions were gain a few customers, but it took a long time to build up her business. All went well for 3 yrs or so and then the web became inundated with DIY and sales steadily fell, even though she was working as hard. They also did a large weekly market that my husband and I took over because her health would not let her continue. A couple of years ago she finally gave up and shut it down. We refused to wholesale because I could make not make enough money with my soap recipes to make it worth the time it would take to make all the soap. I fully agree with redhead I would not have this as my main source of income. This is something to do after retirement. I do enjoy doing a few outdoor markets but I pick and choose, if they cost to much I do not attend. It is extremely hard work

As for niche markets, they are also hard no matter how much advertising you do. I have a friend that is African American who makes hair and skin products for his ethnic community. He and his wife make very good products but they struggle with the business. He recently spent $2700 for a large hair expo with gained no sales or customers. So even niche markets are hard.

Today was a good example of how markets are going. I was able to make my weekly market when I have not been to in a couple of weeks, I did sell a decent amount today but only 1 lotion, 1 balm, 3 soaps. a few misc items. So I sold approx $40 in B&B and $200+ in crochet hats and hoods. These were new customers, since my regulars will not be ready for more soap next month. As amd mentioned some will purchase 6 months to a years worth of soap. This does not make big amounts of moolah. As for Etsy, we had a store that made a couple of sales, that will barely buy a Starbucks Coffee Drink...

So while Hendejm has very good marketing suggestions I will not agree that they are going to make a lot of money with soaps or general B&B products. I have known many B&B makers that had, had being the operative work here, that made livings selling their products but, like my daughter, are now out of business. So I wish anyone starting out lots of good karma

There is a lot of competition in some areas, and not a lot in other areas.

As others have mentioned, it's going to come down to a lot of marketing. Royalty Soaps can charge $12 for a bar of soap because she does small batch, limited run, creative art pieces of soap. Her products are whimsical, and quality, and she's nailed that exclusivity aspect very well. She lets her personality shine through, in both the actual soap and in her YouTube videos, and that also draws people into feeling like they're buying from a friend. She publicly releases her process, so people can see how much work goes into that bar of soap, and then they're willing to pay for that effort. Because every soap she makes, even remakes of previous soaps, comes out unique and different, people want to come back for another art piece.

Finding your niche in the market can be difficult. I started by figuring out what I enjoy making as a whole, and then built a profile based on what kind of person what I enjoy would appeal to. Whimsical, colorful, unique, maybe sometimes a little nerdy, sometimes a little unexpected. I'm heavily marketing to marginalized folks - as a queer, trans, Native person, I know I definitely prefer to buy from and support creators who fall into those categories, and that I'm very willing to spend more money there. So I have planned products that slot into that, as well. My soaps are also vegan, and use sustainably-harvested palm oil. That's not necessarily my intended market, as I'm making these soaps with these ingredients because of my own ethical code, but it does add label appeal, so I am absolutely going to capitalize on it.

I don't necessarily expect to sell out of soap in a few hours, or even a couple of weeks. But I do think that, even with a higher price tag, my product will move at a pace that meets my sales goals.

Are you targeting only 50% of the population @Hendejm? ;)

(The 100K for the year could just as easily be interpreted as 8.5k/pa, according to the image, but the overall trend is making an awesome curve :))

Point of difference.
To compete in a soap-laden marketplace you must have a point of difference.
What is yours? What makes your soap special? Or what makes YOU special that makes someone want to buy your soap? If I view 10 websites tonight in the search of artisan soap - why would I chose your soap, your website?

And for continuing customers - what makes me keep coming back? The service? Your knowledge of your product? You have something in particular that I cannot get anywhere else? All of the above?

@KiwiMoose I can only speak for myself. What keeps my customers coming back is my product. Period. I interact with them when I see them. I know my returning customers. But when they tell me they love my lip balm, my soap, my scrubs etc....that's what brings them back and keeps me doing it. I have customers that drive an hour and forty minutes on labor day to pick up products. They are coming from one big craft show to where I am which is a bit smaller in a tourist town. That says a lot. When I retire I would like to have a small shop where I can sell my products but also teach others how to make them. I still have a handful of years but that's where I'd like to be. Plus continue doing my 4-5 shows that I've been doing for years now. I don't want to make a living off of it but I like being able to supplement my income and do what I love to do.

[QUOTE="I don't expect to be a great success overnight but I do believe that I apply myself and learn and apply what I learn I will be a success.[/QUOTE]

And you absolutely will because you believe and are willing to put in the work.

@shunt2011 Absolutely, you have a plan, now work it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been following the conversation here and I never thought I'd enjoy reading about business lol

It hasn't been my thing so far. I've only ever been an employee, with a few "side jobs" scattered in between when I was younger, that allowed me to make money off things I liked doing.

The posts on here are a great study whether it be soap or not. I have a few ideas, soap being one of them in the not so near future because the other things should and will come first. I have done some studies on my own but appreciate very much the time and effort you guys have taken to explain these things.

So thank you :)

Point of difference.
To compete in a soap-laden marketplace you must have a point of difference.
What is yours? What makes your soap special? Or what makes YOU special that makes someone want to buy your soap? If I view 10 websites tonight in the search of artisan soap - why would I chose your soap, your website?

And for continuing customers - what makes me keep coming back? The service? Your knowledge of your product? You have something in particular that I cannot get anywhere else? All of the above?
Good point! I would argue that it comes down to how much you identify with the brand. Does the website tick the boxes for you? Does it represent who you are or who you want to be? Does the branding effectively communicate/represent your style...your vision of who you’d like to be?

Keep in mind that the “face”or owner of a business is part of their brand...often a large part. If Katie Carson of Royalty Soaps were a sour, unhappy, runnof the mill spokesperson for her brand - she wouldn’t be doing nearly as well as she is. Her YouTube channel closely aligns with her brand - upbeat, bubbly, talkative, happy, likable. Her products represent the same. Her Facebook page is a mirror image of her personality.

If you decide you are like Katie Carson, want to be like Katie Carson, want to be friends with Katie Carson...then you are likely to buy her soap. If Katie’s personality annoys you - you don’t like highly stylized products - you won’t be likely to buy her soap.

Quality comes in second to brand identity for that initial purchase. You have to identify with the brand and TRUST that it represents who you are or want to be. Quality will keep you coming back and that’s what builds loyalty.

As some have said in this thread - they sell at shows because of their loyal following. That’s great! But they need to know why. They aren’t coming back for your quality soap! They can find quality soap in any town and drug store. But they can’t find YOU in any town or drugstore. They can only find YOU at the craft fair, farmers market, etc. you are selling YOU not your soap! You are your brand. The customer identifies with YOU before they identify with your soap. If you went away and let someone else sell your soap - your sales would suffer because that person doesn’t represent your brand any longer.

So in small business - the face (owner, spokesperson,etc) of the business is what makes the difference. Change the face of the business - change the future of the business. Think KFC -Colonial Sanders has been dead for years yet they still use his likeness and actors to represent his likeness because he is/was the brand. Everyone can open up a chicken stand and sell chicken - but nobody else can have Colonial Sanders sell their chicken EXCEPT KFC.

Your persona is a large part of your brand. It’s unique to you...no one else can steal or copy it exactly. That can be what makes you different, unique. Align your personality with your product and marketing - you have a brand.

And what keeps a customer coming back and being a loyal customer? YOU! And maybe your brand and the unspoken promise of what your brand represents. Quality counts but it’s only part of the equation. People will forgive lack of quality ( to a certain extent) if they continue to identify with the product and the brand.

We did juried shows on the east coast for several years (metalwork, not Soap) but I will say that if you can’t set up or tear down in 30 minutes, you may want to look at simplifying your display. I know there is some playing around after you get set up but setting up should not take two hours.
Yes, we're working on it! Each show we learn how to do it better. I don't know if 30 minutes is feasible for her - she has a lot of small items. But we're down to about 2 person hours.

All of what I have said is predicated on the notion of wanting to build a financially successful business. That is not the only barometer.

You have have a successful business that only covers your costs of doing business. You have have a successful business that connects you with people of like minds - more of a social experience.

But if you goal is to be successful business financially - then there is really no other way. You may build your business accidentally (as many have done) by ticking the required marketing boxes, or deliberately. But you need to connect with a potential customer on an emotional level. That is what’s determines a financially successful business.

Use any example, any product, any service...the answer will be the same....with the possible exception of a monopoly or government entity/business. In those cases - the customer doesn’t have the choice or opportunity to select a service or product that they can connect with. And that would be why there is such high dissatisfaction with the Post Office, cable companies, Department of Motor Vehicles, etc.

In every other instance - the success or failure of a business or product comes down to whether the consumer can identify with the product, the message, brand identity, availability, relatability. Of course this is predicated on the notion that the service or product fills a need in the marketplace. Soap fills a need - always will. So there will always be demand for soap. Will you have the right brand and product to fill the need? Will the consumer identify with your product? Will the customer be able to find you? Will you have enough product to meet demand? Will it satisfy the need or want? If the answers are yes - you can be successful - regardless of how croweded you perceive the market to be.

You are wrong that product isn't bringing them back. My product is what they want. They state they can't find a product like mine that they like. We're not buddy buddy....I can tell you straight up they come for my product first. I've got emails telling me how much they like my product and want to order more....it's not about me...Yes, I have a nice booth set up and I interact with them. My product is what they want.

I’m so enjoying reading all of this. And the one thing that I wanted to add was that I learned that what we think will sell, is not necessarily true. I do not like , and have never made these “dessert” looking soap and fancy tops like Royalty Soap makes. Yes she is full of personality and makes soaping look fun. But I would never buy her stuff. But I notice that many of the newer soapers follow her and want to be her! I make great (what i think is great ) soap because I have been experimenting for years and I love the skin feel. But that does not necessarily equate to sales as the buy on scent and looks. Frankly I don’t think ppl even know the difference. They think every soap is the same. Just smell different. Soooo with that being said, you absolutely have to cater to your market. I will tell you however, that I have gotten some great Etsy reviews that say that my soap is what soap should be like, and that others haven’t compared. But this is coming from what I see are “older “ customers whose skin needs that milder feel. ( see attached ) So maybe that’s my market. But it is definitely not the younger crowd that wants to shower with a cupcake.

Attachments

• 6ADEDA14-DD4D-4C89-BE4C-0857E6EDFB14.png
    6ADEDA14-DD4D-4C89-BE4C-0857E6EDFB14.png
    167.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 7430D70E-B980-4634-A0EE-34ECFEE6D41B.jpeg
    7430D70E-B980-4634-A0EE-34ECFEE6D41B.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 32
I keep crossing posts saying that there is not a lot of money in soap making because there is too much competition.

Am I the only one who feels that only you (and maybe your higher power) have the power to change that mindset? I honestly feel that if you perfect your craft, and have your own uniqueness about it, there's no telling how high you can soar. I'm just being honest. What do you think?
Dont get fixated on selling at markets. I am starting a thread called "alternative selling spaces for soap"
Anyway
How many brands of corn flakes do you see in the shops???? Dozens!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back