I did a short Intro, wanna really introduce myself

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hi, I'm a newbie who loves making soap. It has saved my life. I'm going through a difficult period with all my adult children gone and one son who is mentally ill.

I live in Phildelphia, with heavy connects to the hood. I operate two child daycare facilities that serve low income parents. Soap is my mental retirement.

I am a refugee from another forum where I was beat up on daily. I respect this craft of soaping but I honestly want to soap my way according to my morals. I am willing to discuss and accept critiques of my "outside the box" thinking.

In my neighborhood, it is quite racially diverse, summer is the hot time in the city. All the street vendors are out selling everything from turtles, to bootleg perfume and DVDS, to street corner pinchos (those meat on a stick with a slice of white bread).

Everyone is excited about my making soap and I love sharing the knowledge I've learned on these forums. I may be that person who ventures into to selling way to soon but I am comfortable for now with the way I am handling my business.

I'm 45 years old so I remember people selling "tailor-mades" (home sewn dress pants), I enjoy the occassional dinner sold from someone's kitchen to raise the rent, ordered from a copied menu distributed through the community on the day of the sale. I remember when people wore home forged brass earrings, and muslim boys selling oils and incense. I want to show every kid that there is a reason for chemistry class and I'm proud when someone runs up to me in a crowd with a $5 bill and I pass off a bag of soap instead of a bag of drugs.

With all that nostaligic stuff said, I have a serious understanding of the need for insurance and to pay taxes and all the stuff I've been living for 10 years while working in one of the most regulated businesses there is.

I am glad to meet all these joyful and creative people on here making soap. I was actually proud when my daughter told me that a street thug friend of hers asked "why does your mom make soap?" and she answered..."you wouldn't believe how many people there are who make soap"...do you realize how much bigger the world became just with that short interaction!

Hello there Philly I'm glad you have some type of get-a-way for you! It's very important that have something there that you like to do to relax. Crafts are my little get away to, when I get overwhelmed or really stressed I get right to it! Thanks for sharing with us i'm glad you decided to open up and really let us get to know you. :p :wink:

rupertspal42 said:
Hello there Philly I'm glad you have some type of get-a-way for you! It's very important that have something there that you like to do to relax. Crafts are my little get away to, when I get overwhelmed or really stressed I get right to it! Thanks for sharing with us i'm glad you decided to open up and really let us get to know you. :p :wink:

thank you, you made me feel very welcome

Hi Phillysoaps , welcome to the forum .Making soap is definitely a get away from the everyday stuff called life. I love making soap.

Kitn

x

:D hey, philly!

i hear you! soaping is my therapy, too! it gives me a chance to "decompress" and re-focus my thoughts!

just a thought, but have you considered this?

since you work in a low-income inner city location, maybe you could work up a business plan and mission statement to apply for grant money to train and employ local youths (or anyone for that matter) to make and sell soap?

like maybe soap from the 'hood?

there are all sorts of gov'ment programs that you can apply for that pays for equipment, supplies and also pays the trainee's salary.

you might even speak to a church in the area. most churches have kitchens and food prep areas and storage for supplies. and you could probably get volunteers to maybe make or sell the soap!

a program like that would give the community some hope for a brighter future!

Re: x

heartsong said:
:D hey, philly!

i hear you! soaping is my therapy, too! it gives me a chance to "decompress" and re-focus my thoughts!

just a thought, but have you considered this?

since you work in a low-income inner city location, maybe you could work up a business plan and mission statement to apply for grant money to train and employ local youths (or anyone for that matter) to make and sell soap?

like maybe soap from the 'hood?

there are all sorts of gov'ment programs that you can apply for that pays for equipment, supplies and also pays the trainee's salary.

you might even speak to a church in the area. most churches have kitchens and food prep areas and storage for supplies. and you could probably get volunteers to maybe make or sell the soap!

a program like that would give the community some hope for a brighter future!

I hadn't considered that ideal, i guess mainly because of the use of lye. However I did want the soap making to be a part of a ministry for single parents, introducing them to natural and wholesome issues, crafts, spirituality.

Hi Phillysoaps, thank you for that detailed intro. I think it's important for people to know more about us so they can understand the questions we ask then context in which we mean them. I think your "commiserating" thread is a good example. I, too, will probably be one of those soapmakers who'll start selling before some other people think I should. But I have learned one thing in dealing with lots of people in this world and that is....yes, there WILL be reckless people who'll need to be discouraged from doing so but not everyone who moves fast is reckless. But it's hard to know who you're talking to on the internet so once I'm a rich and famous soaper (haha...yea right), I promise to always treat newbie soapers in a manner that assumes they are are "on top of things" until they prove they're really not.

Ok, stepping off my soap box now. ;-)

By the way, I would consider teaching kids even with lye especially since you say you want them to appreciate chemistry. What better way to get them hooked on chemistry than introducing them to the chemical process of saponification! I know I'm hooked.

zeo

Good start

Welcome and what an interesting background you come from.
Good on you.
Gotta make the best of what ever life hands us and you are certainly doing that.
So it's onward and upward, one soap box at a time.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back