I am going to scream

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your washer is t rinsin well let it soak for an hour with a couple scoops of your homemade laundry detergent. It helps clean the tub.

If your washer is t rinsin well
It has NEVER worked well, sadly. It's a water saving feature, I'm sure. Low rinse. This is the exact same problem I had with my cloth diapers when we first got the machine.
Though I was thinking today it's about time to wash out the machine, it's a sign, I'd better do it.

Maybe try bleach and hot water on a full cycle to clean things up.
Also if you have an HE side loader, and the clothes aren't spinning dry, it means that there are too many suds!

Here is the laundry soap I just made
100 gr of 100% lard soap shaved with grater, (still little soft)
30 gr borax
30 gr washing soda
6 cups water
mixed in pot and brought to near boil
cooled. Jelly like, custard

It has NEVER worked well, sadly. It's a water saving feature, I'm sure. Low rinse. This is the exact same problem I had with my cloth diapers when we first got the machine.
Though I was thinking today it's about time to wash out the machine, it's a sign, I'd better do it.

To clean my washing machine i do two cycles. The first one is hot water, full load, with one quart bleach. Let agitate and before it drains spin it back so it soaks longer and agitates longer. Let rinse clean and drain. Second load hot water, full load, with one quart vinegar. For hard water build up in the tub, add a half pound of citric acid powder to the water and vinegar. Same as above, let soak and run through agitation, then before draining turn knob back and run through cycle again untill rinsed and drained. The inside of your washer will be clean enough to eat out of! Do this once a month or so for maintenence. Works in all washers.

Thomas

This may sound like a stupid question... but has anyone noticed if the homemade laundry detergent, that uses grated soap, leaves buildup in the washer over time?

I have noticed that all soaps start to build up in a washing machine, and to keep the germs down and debri and scum off the washer, i clean it once a month as described above. Works like a charm!

Thomas

That video was rather funny. I just make mine by melting my soap shreds in hot water. I prefer liquid laundry detergent as the granulated detergent doesn't always disolve when using cold water washes.

This thread is more active than my last thread on rebatch soap...but does anyone know if I can add more lye to my laundry soap in a rebatch to UNsuperfat it? In theory it sounds plausible, but how much lye is too much lye that it could damage my laundry?

Is it regular 5% SF Bath soap? Is it cured? I would just shave/ grate it then follow my above posted recipe. If the clothes come out stiff, then it's oil heavy. Better to error on the side of too much oil than lye. BWDIK

This thread is more active than my last thread on rebatch soap...but does anyone know if I can add more lye to my laundry soap in a rebatch to UNsuperfat it? In theory it sounds plausible, but how much lye is too much lye that it could damage my laundry?

I did want to jump in and see if anyone had a borax free liquid soap suitable for laundry. Apparently I'm sensitive to borax- the grated soap/borax/washing soda I've been using on my clothes for the past few weeks is making me itch and giving me a rash. Now some of it IS the washer, we know it doesn't rinse very well, but I can't replace it (too much $$) so I need to try something else.
ETA: or does using the borax like that "neutralize" it? I'd just hate to make a liquid soap only to find my self itching again....

I use cheap white vinegar with my home made laundry soap. I had read before I started making my soap that soap does not rinse out of clothes as easily as detergent does. I have one of those "Downy balls" and I put the vinegar in that and put it in when I start the washer. Since starting that I don't use any fabric softener nor do I use drier sheets, before I used both.

This may help get all the soap out of your clothes and take care of your itchy/rash.

Is it regular 5% SF Bath soap? Is it cured? I would just shave/ grate it then follow my above posted recipe. If the clothes come out stiff, then it's oil heavy. Better to error on the side of too much oil than lye. BWDIK

Yes my soaps are 5% superfat bath soaps, but I also have soap I made at 1%sf that I was worried about being too lye heavy for laundry.

The soap I have used in my laundry was 0% SF as I didn't want to risk oil in my clothes. I made is specifically for laundry. I have thought about using some of my not too pretty bath bars also, but would want to add some lye to get rid of any oil left in because of the SF. Most of mine are 5-7% SF.

The soap I have used in my laundry was 0% SF as I didn't want to risk oil in my clothes. I made is specifically for laundry. I have thought about using some of my not too pretty bath bars also, but would want to add some lye to get rid of any oil left in because of the SF. Most of mine are 5-7% SF.

Sooooooooo any idea how much lye is too much to add to a rebatch? Lol

Perhaps you could go back on soapcalc with your original recipe and decrease the superfat % and see what the difference in the grams of lye would be. That might give you an idea of how much lye to add to your rebatch.

Latest posts

Back