HP landscape attempt

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawni

Reaction score
I call it an attempt because I'm not completely satisfied with how it looks.

Several things went wrong here.

If all went well, the green parts are supposed to be rice terraces, but it got gloppy too fast for me to make multiple "steps" with the cocoa pencil line. So hills it will be. Or mountains if you like lol. This was colored with a mix of green stuff meant to make smoothies lol which include spirulina, nettle and chlorella among other things.

The white part was supposed to be the light of the sun peeking out but I need more practice in getting my batter to stay where it's supposed to be and not spread out. I didn't color this at all. This recipe makes an almost white soap.

The ITP for the sky also didn't work out coz my indigo didn't mix in well with part of it so I just mixed whatever leftover batter I had left into one solid color. My indigo usually works well with almost anything so this surprised me.

@Mobjack Bay (thank you for your words of encouragement) reminded me that what's important is that it's a landscape. I was dreading it before cutting and I'm glad it's not worse like I thought it would be. It doesn't show but the whole left side of the loaf has gigantic air pockets so I'm surprised the bars are holding themselves up haha. I did also play around with trimming that side, hence the smaller bars...
IMG_20190725_125000.jpg

IMG_20190725_124252.jpg

Now see those white spots? This is a high lard soap with no butters and is otherwise very fluid without excessive water, and sometimes no yogurt even. For some reason, it didn't work out that way this time and I don't know what those spots are. They aren't dried soap either because I didn't have time to scrape my pot. My colorants did not want to color them.

All in all, it's not too bad. I'm happy with it, and it will be good soap to use so no waste here. Maybe in the future I'll have a go again.

Last edited:
Looks good, natural colorants are beautiful. When I have something that didn't turn out the way I wanted, I always remind myself that I learn something from every batch of soap I make.

@Dawni - Do you live near the rice terraces of the Philippines Cordilleras (Mga Hagdan-Hagdang Palayan ng Kordilyera ng Pilipinas)? I can definitely see the inspiration of the ancient landscape of the Phillipines in your beautiful soaps!

Thanks guys!
@Dawni - Do you live near the rice terraces of the Philippines Cordilleras (Mga Hagdan-Hagdang Palayan ng Kordilyera ng Pilipinas)? I can definitely see the inspiration of the ancient landscape of the Phillipines in your beautiful soaps!
Not really.. It's about 6-8hrs drive for me, half of that through flatland and the rest zigzagging between mountains and sheer drops. I've been though, and it's breathtaking, especially when it hits you that they were man made so many centuries ago... Glad you made the connection hehehe

Thanks guys!

Not really.. It's about 6-8hrs drive for me, half of that through flatland and the rest zigzagging between mountains and sheer drops. I've been though, and it's breathtaking, especially when it hits you that they were man made so many centuries ago... Glad you made the connection hehehe
Your pencil lines are capturing the feel of the terracing, especially in the soap on the lower right on the top photo. :)

Dawni, the soap is very pretty. It maybe doesn't remind me so much of rice terraces, but certainly of hills with billowy clouds. I really like the blue you got too. :) I tend to be partial to all things abstract - I like that people can see different things in the same work.

I call it an attempt because I'm not completely satisfied with how it looks.

Several things went wrong here.

If all went well, the green parts are supposed to be rice terraces, but it got gloppy too fast for me to make multiple "steps" with the cocoa pencil line. So hills it will be. Or mountains if you like lol. This was colored with a mix of green stuff meant to make smoothies lol which include spirulina, nettle and chlorella among other things.

The white part was supposed to be the light of the sun peeking out but I need more practice in getting my batter to stay where it's supposed to be and not spread out. I didn't color this at all. This recipe makes an almost white soap.

The ITP for the sky also didn't work out coz my indigo didn't mix in well with part of it so I just mixed whatever leftover batter I had left into one solid color. My indigo usually works well with almost anything so this surprised me.

@Mobjack Bay (thank you for your words of encouragement) reminded me that what's important is that it's a landscape. I was dreading it before cutting and I'm glad it's not worse like I thought it would be. It doesn't show but the whole left side of the loaf has gigantic air pockets so I'm surprised the bars are holding themselves up haha. I did also play around with trimming that side, hence the smaller bars...
View attachment 40523
View attachment 40524
Now see those white spots? This is a high lard soap with no butters and is otherwise very fluid without excessive water, and sometimes no yogurt even. For some reason, it didn't work out that way this time and I don't know what those spots are. They aren't dried soap either because I didn't have time to scrape my pot. My colorants did not want to color them.

All in all, it's not too bad. I'm happy with it, and it will be good soap to use so no waste here. Maybe in the future I'll have a go again.

Oh I really like that soap!!! It's actually very calming to look at....it relaxes me. Very nice job!
:goodbye1:

Oh I really like that soap!!! It's actually very calming to look at....it relaxes me. Very nice job!
:goodbye1:
Awww thanks, I wish I could send you one hehehe

Yes @dibbles, the terraces didn't come through at all lol but I'll try again. I used infused indigo for the blue, but I didn't shake the container thinking it would have been too dark compared to the green. Thank you :)

Latest posts

Back