HP goat milk soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kupla

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm just starting to get into soap making. I have a dairy goat so I thought a good use for my extra milk would be to make soap.

Can anyone give me some tips or post to some simple recipes for goat milk soap?

Welcome to the forum, Kupla.

You can modify any soap recipe to use milk - just replace a portion of the water for milk. If you're just getting started, you'll probably want to forgo the milk until you have a few batches under you belt; milk can be tricky to work with. Once you're comfortable with the process, goat milk is a lovely addition.

A great place to learn about the basics of soapmaking is the Soaping101 channel (start with a few of the oldest ones first). Soap Queen has a few good tutorials for safety. There are also some great stickies here that you might want to check out.

Hi and welcome to the forum! I'm a newbie too, and I started making soap for the same reason :) I started out with using goat milk in my soap, and it can be a bit tricky in terms of not scorching it, but it's not the most difficult thing to work with either. Definitely learn the basics before you dive in - Snappyllama listed some good resources.

Here are a few things I didn't realize when I first started making HP soap that might be of some use to you (or not). Your soaps will turn out brown due to heating the milk, just make sure you stir everything fairly frequently. Also, if you've been reading or watching videos about HP soap with water, be aware that it can take a lot longer to cook a batch with milk in it. I usually allow 4 hours start to finish for my HP milk batches (it doesn't always take that long, but I'd hate to have to leave in the middle of one). Another point - HP soap CAN be used immediately after cutting, but it really SHOULD cure the same amount of time as a CP soap (I used my first bars to soon - they were pretty good, but practically vanished in the shower it seemed, but when I used the same bars that had cured for several weeks, they were MUCH nicer in terms of feel, lather, and hardness). Finally, soap making is almost as addictive as raising goats :D

Thanks for the good advice! I'll look over the tutorials and read through the stickies. I've wanted to try soap making for a couple years now and have finally decided to take the plunge!

Back