How/when do you cut salt bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuckyStar

Reaction score
Decided to give a salt bar a shot today in my log mold. I poured it and went through gel phase extremely fast(as im told all salt bars do). I waited until it was still hot but firm to try to cut it...half way through the bar fractured and split in half. Tried again a few hours later when it was cooled and the same thing happened.

Grumble grumble*

Was a pretty traditional salt bar from what i can tell

70% CO
5% Castor
15% Soy
10% Avocado

75% of oil weight as (table salt), 15% super fat.

My knife is just a regular kitchen knife, so perhaps that's the problem? It seems to act like more of a wedge than say,a wire cutter.

I had this happen every time I tried to cut a salt bar. I tried low profile slab molds and cut after a couple of hours then went on to a slab mold with dividers. They all crumbled no matter when I cut or took the dividers off. I decided to try individual silicone molds and that did the trick. They pop right out after about 12 hours with beautiful slick sides. No more cutting headaches for me! :lol:

Without a wire cutter I would suggest a silicone mold with individual cavities. My square cavity silicone makes very nice size salt bars. http://www.brambleberry.com/12-Bar-Square-Silicone-Mold-P4908.aspx I usually cut in 45 -90 min with a wire cutter. I really think a knife will be to thick to cut salt bars

That's the exact mold I use as well. I have both square and round. I believe they hold 4 oz per cavity. They made me go from "I just can't make a pretty salt bar" to "Woohoo! I did it!"

I have always cut my salt bars at the 2 hr mark. They are still alittle wet but they don't crumble. I use a long kitchen knife.

I don't cut my salt bars until they are fully cured. I use a wire cutter with no problems.

I don't cut my salt bars until they are fully cured. I use a wire cutter with no problems.

I don't understand this. Salt bars should be cured for 6-8 weeks or longer, do you mean you cut after they have gelled? How much salt do you add to your recipe?

I've only made one salt bar, it was 80% CO, 15% OO, 5% castor, 80% (of oils) sea salt, 20% superfat. Unmolded at one hour mark and set on a cutting board upside-down, cut one hour later with a kitchen knife. It was surprising warm and squishy in the middle, but it cut through fine with no crumbling. Hope this helps!

Cutting Salt Bars

I find with salt bars that individual cavities in silicone molds work best. Also, one would think they get so hard you would not want to use Sodium Lactate but I find I have less problems with salt bars if I use 2% SL.

----------------------------
www.sadiesmissionsoaps.com

I stuck my salt bar mold into the freezer for about 30 minutes before trying to unmold. Worked perfectly. I was a bit worried about it when it began sweating, but on a rainy day in the deep south, everything cooler than room temp will sweat, and it dried perfectly.

I made my first Pink Himalayan Salt bar today. After reading about cutting before it gets hard, I cut my soap within a couple of hours of making. I went HP with it and I did just under 50% pink (didnt have enough Pink). A blessing in disguise? Not sure, my soap did not sweat, it crumbed slightly on the top only because it was over filled. Didnt realize that with just under 50% pink salt and 10% SF my mold was not big enough. So I got some small containers and filled those. I was surprised that it cooked for 1 hour and I was only using 30 oz of oil. That was a long time.

My next is CP with this soap, I wonder if I have to be waiting to cut. Did I do something wrong? Why did it hardened so quick? I already used the soap and its feels so good. Just not sure what to expect when I CP. Here are my pic
Pink_zpsb4253e1c.jpg

Pink_1_zps59eeaf62.jpg

How to cut salt bars? My advice: don't. I've only made one batch but I had a lot of trouble deciding when to cut, the log was too soft to cut after a few hours even though that's usually what's recommended and eventually I gave up, went to sleep, and ended up cutting the log the next morning, but it was too hard to cut then and many bars ended up with rough, crumbly sides. It would definitely be easier with individual molds - just pop the bars out the next day. No worries.

I made my first salt bar yesterday with Himalayan salt. They didnt sweat and the crumble was because I didnt adjust for the added, salt, and sf, so that made more and my mold was not big enough for all. I got most in the mold, btw I HP my soap because I needed to know if all went will.

Not sure if it did. I usually can cut in the morning but after reading all the threads and doing some research I read how quick the set. I cut by the 2 hour mark. I was told by another soaper that using 50% salt was to much. Poured my salt directly into the batch right after a light trace then it went on the stove. They look good, lather wonderful. I asked my 79 year old mother if she shower with and how did it feel, just like me, throwing my mother under the bus...sort of speak, and she said great, thank God. I already upload pic on the last thread.

First off, take your salt bar away from your mom, they aren't ready yet. Its a myth that making HP means the soap is ready to use immediately, it still needs a cure just like regular CP. It's true the HP is safe sooner then CP but safe doesn't equal ready to use.

When you CP a salt bar, it will most likely take a bit longer to set up then the HP did. HP almost always is ready to cut sooner then CP, adding the salt made it set up even faster.
I've never made salt bars HP but if I did, I wouldn't have cooked the salt with the batter. I would have waited until the soap was cooked and ready to go in the mold, stirring in the scent and salt at the very end.
Word of advice with salt bars, due to the high amount of coconut oil used, you want to SF at 20%. To get best lather use at least 70% coconut oil, I personally use 80% then either olive or avocado for the remaining 20%.

Timing the cut with salt bars can be tricky. Make sure you make it on a day you can hang around and baby sit the loaf. As soon as its firm enough to unmold and gently handle, you will want to cut it. It will still be caustic at this point so wear your gloves and give it a couple days before you zap test. Don't worry about trying to gel, just let it do it thing.

I hate adjusting my recipes so when I make salt bars, which I do a lot, I always have a extra mold handy for the excess batter. Not sure why the other soaper told you 50% salt was too much unless they misunderstood how the % is measured. I used 100% salt, so if I use 16 oz of oil, I also use 16 oz of salt. You don't have to use fancy sea salt, you can use plain table salt if you want.

I love and use salt bars almost exclusively. I use either a divider slab mold or individual silicone molds. I prefer the slab as I can get those to gel and don't get ash. My individual bars I haven't had any luck getting them to gel and they ash like crazy once unmolded. I can usually unmold from the slab anywhere between 3-4 hours while still warm. They unmold easily.

First off, take your salt bar away from your mom, they aren't ready yet. Its a myth that making HP means the soap is ready to use immediately, it still needs a cure just like regular CP. It's true the HP is safe sooner then CP but safe doesn't equal ready to use.

When you CP a salt bar, it will most likely take a bit longer to set up then the HP did. HP almost always is ready to cut sooner then CP, adding the salt made it set up even faster.
I've never made salt bars HP but if I did, I wouldn't have cooked the salt with the batter. I would have waited until the soap was cooked and ready to go in the mold, stirring in the scent and salt at the very end.
Word of advice with salt bars, due to the high amount of coconut oil used, you want to SF at 20%. To get best lather use at least 70% coconut oil, I personally use 80% then either olive or avocado for the remaining 20%.

Timing the cut with salt bars can be tricky. Make sure you make it on a day you can hang around and baby sit the loaf. As soon as its firm enough to unmold and gently handle, you will want to cut it. It will still be caustic at this point so wear your gloves and give it a couple days before you zap test. Don't worry about trying to gel, just let it do it thing.

I hate adjusting my recipes so when I make salt bars, which I do a lot, I always have a extra mold handy for the excess batter. Not sure why the other soaper told you 50% salt was too much unless they misunderstood how the % is measured. I used 100% salt, so if I use 16 oz of oil, I also use 16 oz of salt. You don't have to use fancy sea salt, you can use plain table salt if you want.

CP for salt bars is best. I think that the 50% of salt was because of the HP. I dont know, but, I thinks I will be doing CP for salt bars. Cut when firm and cure for 6 weeks. Thanks

Obsidian, I have been using a recipe that I got from a soapmaking book that said use 50% of salt. They have always turned out well. But I really am curious about the recipe you use for your salt bars. 20% SF and using avocado oil. Definitely going to try your method. Thank you. :)

Kathie

I use 80% CO, 15% Avocado, Olive or Rice Bran and 5% Castor, Shea or Cocoa Butter. I always superfat at 20-22% and use 50% salt as I've found thats my magic number for salt content.

Latest posts

Back