How to protest gvt costs?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelissaG

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So here's the thing, I work from home. My state has decided that they should charge me property tax. AKA cash grab. We already pay for all the things listed in this through our normal house tax. The state is trying to charge me for the same things for working from my home. Essentially, they are double taxing me. Oh, I could file inventory but it's higher than last year so I'd be paying more plus they want the inventory notarized so I'd be paying the same amount or more than if I just paid what they are asking for. If I had a physical location working from a warehouse or something with employees, then sure. But it's just me.

This is insane to be double taxed for my own home.

So my question is this... how do I fight this? Where do I begin? No one should be double taxed working from home. I don't even know where to start for protesting this. I tried talking to my city and parish but they both say that it's the state. And the state... that's an entirely different ballgame.

Are you taking a deduction for business use of your home? If not, that's something to consider as it will eliminate the double-taxation. My understanding is that it requires a dedicated space in your home that is used only for business. As @lsg suggested, you will need a CPA to determine how or whether this will work for you. The first time you do this, you will pay more in accounting fees, but after the first time, it's usually not as much.

Are you taking a deduction for business use of your home? If not, that's something to consider as it will eliminate the double-taxation. My understanding is that it requires a dedicated space in your home that is used only for business. As @lsg suggested, you will need a CPA to determine how or whether this will work for you. The first time you do this, you will pay more in accounting fees, but after the first time, it's usually not as much.
I think so. I gave everything to the accountant and let him deal with it. Should I not claim it as a deduction?

Unfortunately I can only speak generally to what might be available, but wouldn't know what is best for your particular situation. It could be that claiming the home office deduction triggered the additional taxation claim, but my guess it's more likely something to do with your local business license. Hopefully your CPA can take a look and let you know the best option for you.

Unfortunately I can only speak generally to what might be available, but wouldn't know what is best for your particular situation. It could be that claiming the home office deduction triggered the additional taxation claim, but my guess it's more likely something to do with your local business license. Hopefully your CPA can take a look and let you know the best option for you.
Thank you

Hello everyone,

So here's the thing, I work from home. My state has decided that they should charge me property tax. AKA cash grab. We already pay for all the things listed in this through our normal house tax. The state is trying to charge me for the same things for working from my home. Essentially, they are double taxing me. Oh, I could file inventory but it's higher than last year so I'd be paying more plus they want the inventory notarized so I'd be paying the same amount or more than if I just paid what they are asking for. If I had a physical location working from a warehouse or something with employees, then sure. But it's just me.

This is insane to be double taxed for my own home.

So my question is this... how do I fight this? Where do I begin? No one should be double taxed working from home. I don't even know where to start for protesting this. I tried talking to my city and parish but they both say that it's the state. And the state... that's an entirely different ballgame.
Oh my goodness this sounds horrible I hope you can work it out. You'll have to let us know what happens I live in Canada so I wouldn't know anything about the states but yah that's crazy 🤪.

Oh my goodness this sounds horrible I hope you can work it out. You'll have to let us know what happens I live in Canada so I wouldn't know anything about the states but yah that's crazy 🤪.
I grew up in Canada, born in Alberta. Lived in the US since 2008. Trust me, stay in Canada just for the health care alone. It's alot less complicated. Even when it comes to soap.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back