How to handle dupes...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJA

Reaction score
Morning, kids. :D

So I have a couple of dupes that I'll eventually be selling, and I was wondering how you all handle the name game. For instance, clearly I can't call my Philosophy "Pure Grace" dupe by their trademarked name, so do you choose to rename it altogether (but then people won't know it's comparable to the big name scent they like) or do you call it something like "Pure Grace Type"? I was just curious how most of you do it.

That is what the FO sellers call it , and that is what I see other sellers calling it ------type. I`m just sayin.

I can see why people want to use the trademarked name, because it's what your customers will recognize, but it's a double edge sword of sorts.
Although it can draw customers to your product, if your customer doesn't think it smells like the original, then things just seem cheesey and a sad attempt to profit off of someone else's name.

Personally, I give every dupe a totally different name. That way your competition (who often masquerades as your customer) doesn't run out and look for the same scent.

I don't do dupes. One of the reasons I do soap is to make my own scents, & what I don't blend I re-name.

I think my customers find it refreshing that I don't sell what B&BW sells. They can find something unique with me. If they ask for lavender, I hand them 3 or 4 soaps that have a blend of lavender & something else. Their eyes light up!

When every 2 persons walk by me smelling of citrus, I steer clear of citrus & offer something else. It's working for me.

There's a whole market out there of people who don't want to smell like everyone else!

Latest posts

Back