how to get that boozy smell

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

green soap

Reaction score
I have lime margarita FO, which does smell like a lime margarita. It has a little bit of the alcohol smell. I use it as is, adding just a touch of litsea cubeba some times. The other day I blended some of it with spearmint EO, for a 'mojito' scent. Very nice. I guess technically, this would be a tequila mojito (traditionally white rum) but honestly, I don't think I'll get called on it....

I would like to find a FO with just the alcohol scent, so I can mix my own FOs and or EOs to make drink scents. I realize rum smells different than whisky, different than brandy. I am looking for just a 'vodka' scent, which i could add in tiny amounts to other scents. Is there such a thing out there?

Any ideas how perfume and fragrance oils manufacturers do that? any 'generic' alcohol scent ideas out there?

The lime margarita has its fans and I just made some replenishment soaps. I think it would be fun to make more 'drink' soap and vary the drink. I am thinking a kahlua could be next. I have a nice coffee FO, but the lime margarita would clash with that. I need just a 'vodka' scent. Perhaps a little vanilla in it too (I already got vanilla FO).

I haven't tried Champagne. I've used Strawberries & Champagne in which I can detect a slight alcoholic scent. I thought just plain champagne FO might give a hint of alcohol to a blend. I wish I could tell you whether it will work but I don't know if it will. I was just offering an alternative idea.

You could call BB and ask if the Champagne has an alcohol scent to it. Their customer service is very helpful.

The Colonial Club vodka I have has a slight scent but there's more of an underlying sharpness (bite?) that I can smell. I'm not sure how else to describe it. I've noticed this underlying sharpness in other alcoholic beverages and in mixed drinks. It's the boozy smell that I think green soap is referring to in her first post.

Hazel said:
The Colonial Club vodka I have has a slight scent but there's more of an underlying sharpness (bite?) that I can smell. I'm not sure how else to describe it. I've noticed this underlying sharpness in other alcoholic beverages and in mixed drinks. It's the boozy smell that I think green soap is referring to in her first post.

Yes, exactly. If you sniff a mojito, a margarita, a screwdriver, you notice a sharp alcohol scent, behind the fruity or minty scents. I would like to get just that, so i can mix it with other scents to make different drinks. Not sure if such isolated 'booze' scent even exists though. I don't want to put alcohol into the soap, it might cause acceleration and ricing.

Thanks for the tip! I have recently ordered some EOs and a few FOs. They included a sample called 'moonlight pomegranate'. Nice scent, but hard to soap I hear.

I'm new here and this is my first post, but I saw your post and wanted to let you know that Sweet Cakes sells an FO called Gin Martini, it smells very "boozy". I think that it would probably work for what you want. I had some ages ago but I'm not sure if I ever used it, will have to look. :)

Regarding the Brambleberry Champagne FO, I have to say I wanted to love it but was pretty disappointed. In the bottle it was pretty nice - smelled like ginger ale fizz. But after Soaping it.. it just smells weird. I don't really know how to describe it. Not sure if it was my recipe or what. Try it if you want (Id suggest a sample) but I wouldn't bank on that one. I just discovered that Natures Garden sells a few champagne FOs that im excited to try out. The names are something like Champagne Pear, Vanilla Champagne, and Champagne Pomegranate. Not sure of theyre what you're looking for - maybe the champagne vanilla? Anyways. Let us know what you find!

Latest posts

Back