How to avoid that horrible smell in goat's milk soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapqueen

Reaction score
I have had nothing but disaster with goat's milk (apart from one freak batch which was lovely).
I tried it again yesterday; 1700g oils. I made the lye with half the water and added 20g (3 tablespoons) of dried goats mild to the rest of the water. I then added the goats milk mix to the oils and mixed well.
I added the lye to oils and milk when both were about 95 degrees farenheit. As soon as I put it in the mould I put it in the freezer for about 2 hours, then put it in the fridge for about 1 1/2 hours, then left it on the worktop overnight.
I'm sure the mix never went over 100 degrees, and it has set to a nice creamy yellow colour....but still it has that hint of urea smell.
What more can I do to try to get this right????

Goat's Milk

Since you are using powdered goats milk...I use that also and have found that adding it directly to the oil BEFORE adding the lye seems to give the best mix....Especially since the lye has reacted with the water and you can control the heat a little better...Just be sure to blend thoroughly--stick blend is best...I used to either use goats milk as the water and even add the powder to the water and lye mix only to find that in the end product you could smell the "goat" for a lack of a better term which oftern overpowers the fragrance of the soap.

I am using the dried milk to make milk with half the water and adding it to the oils before adding the lye made with the rest of the water.

O.K. I am going to tell my secret. Freeze your goat milk, smash it into chunks, add your lye to to it all at once. Yes, all at once. Stir until disolved, add to your room temp oils. Don't worry about temp. Stick Blend until blended. Add your FO, Eo, Color or whatever. Stick blend until trace and pour into moulds. Don't worry about any amonia type smell it will go away in a few days. Thats it.

I'm the same. I make with frozen, fresh GM and my soap doesn't smell. I freeze into ice cube trays.

What about if you mixed the powdered goat milk in as little water as possible to dissolve and set it aside until light trace. Mix the lye with the balance of the water and process as usual. I don't see why this wouldn't work as I do it with cow's cream, meaning I add the cream at trace. Cold process.

Thanks for the replies. Unlike my other two failed batches, the nasty smell seems to have faded within a week or so. The failed ones still stank months later so I had to bin them. They were so bad, I didn't even think I could try any kind of rebatch....and who likes doing that anyway??
I think in future I will try the RTCP, used that on latest batch (not GM), and it worked fine AND had a full gel (lots of towels!!)

GallopingGoatsFarm said:
O.K. I am going to tell my secret. Freeze your goat milk, smash it into chunks, add your lye to to it all at once. Yes, all at once. Stir until disolved, add to your room temp oils. Don't worry about temp. Stick Blend until blended. Add your FO, Eo, Color or whatever. Stick blend until trace and pour into moulds. Don't worry about any amonia type smell it will go away in a few days. Thats it.

Shannon-

Does your soap gel when you do it this way? I usually try to prevent gel on my gm soaps so they stay light in color, but would like to try your method and see if it gels. Do your soaps stay creamy in color or are they darker?

I try to prevent gel. If I have a FO that likes to heat up I usually put the mold outside or in the fridge to keep it from reaching gel. My unscented/uncolored soaps stay very nearly white.

Latest posts

Back