How soon do you use it?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is one of those questions where you'll get ten different answers and they'll all be right! :lol: That's because different people have different skin sensitivities and what feels great for Person A might not feel very good for Person B.

When I first started soaping, I did tests on my soap by using them at varying times over the days and weeks after unmolding, and this is what I found from my tests:

-My soap that was only a few days old did not lather near as well as it lathered weeks later. The bars also didn't last very long either.

-Even if my soap didn't zap early on, it still felt more drying to my skin when I used it then as compared to when I used it weeks later.

- Some of my fragrances smelled better and more true weeks later as compared to when freshly cut.

- I found that 4 weeks was the defining benchmark where I felt my soap to be at it's earliest best to use. Six weeks is even better, but 4 weeks is good enough to go.

-Although many see curing as mainly time for water to evaporate, I personally believe from my test resultss that more is going on behind the scenes at the micro level than just evaporation. My soap really does mellow and get milder as time goes on, as Artisan said.

IrishLass :)

I agree with what the others have said about soap going through changes and improving with age.

For normal cold pressed soap that didn't gel - after about 2 or 3 days, I cut off an end about the size of a motel soap and I will test this on my hands when it is a week old, sometimes sooner. I need this gratification fairly quickly. :wink: I sit that little soap on a plastic tag at the kitchen sink and I test it periodically. I write the date and what it is on the plastic tag. This way, it's always in front of you and you DO notice the improvement in the soap over time.

With cold processed soap that I gel in the oven - I cut that after 24 hours and test it straight away if I want to.

I made my first batch in the crock pot the other day. That was awesome because I could test it straight away. (From go to whoa was only about an hour). All the left over scrapings got squisherated together and formed into a shape that I could hold.

How many batches have you made Deb?

artisan soaps said:
IrishLass said:
-Even if my soap didn't zap early on, it still felt more drying to my skin when I used it then as compared to when I used it weeks later.

- Some of my fragrances smelled better and more true weeks later as compared to when freshly cut.

Yep, I totally agree with you too Irish :D
ditto

debsmad said:
Bubbles Galore said:
How many batches have you made Deb?

I'm embarrassed to say......15. Nine of those are goat milk.

Embarrassed ... why? Did you make them all in one day? * I'm kidding and giggling remembering how many batches I had to make when I first started *

I love the goat milk soaps. :wink:

debsmad said:
So, let's say you're still trying to find your perfect recipe and you know you'll need to tweak things until you get there....do you use your soap early to get an idea how it is, and make a new batch with adjustments right away, test early again?

Or do you just make a few slightly different batches and see which one comes out best, and go from there?

I made different kinds of batches, waited until fully cured, and then tweaked from there.

debsmad said:
I'm finding this initial waiting process excruciatingly frustrating. I'm pretty confident that my first batches are not going to be my perfect recipe, ya know? Once I get it narrowed down to something I'm happy with this waiting won't be such a bother. But now....being new.....I just want to make this, make that, make more of this AND that, and it's stupid because I don't know if it's going to produce what I want. Anybody following my nattering? lol

I know what you mean. :lol: There's no avoiding the waiting with CP, though. Just keep your batches small, at least 1 lb., and make a handful of different recipes to compare. After cure, take your favorite ones and start tweaking away until you get them to where you really like them.

If you find that the waiting is just too much to bear, you can always do HP. The method is different than CP, with the main challenge being that it's more difficult to get tthe batter to a smooth enough consistancy at pour (difficult but not impossible), and as a result the texture of the soap is more rustic looking than CP. But the waiting time is shorter. I wait at least 2 weeks for my HP. You can use it sooner than that, but the soap lasts much longer if you wait.

IrishLass :)

I understand what you are going threw. I have been reinventing my base recipe. I have been playing with butters, and trying to make it more conditioning, playing with GM and WD, and in the past month have made probably 7 batches.

I'm learning that patience is bliss. I was VERY disapointed with my first GM, my lather was almost gone, and even though the bar itself felt nice, it felt like a whole different recipe. I tried it 2 days after cutting... I used a sliver because that was the only part hard enough to try. After trying to figure out what I did wrong (only thing that was different was the GM in this batch) and nearly giving up and rebatching it, I used the other end sliver today, and it is already better... still not as good as my original recipe, but it is improving. I'm going to wait from now on, as frustrating as that is for me. I would LOVE to just HP them and test, but I'm also learning to swirl my soaps, and would miss that experience if I did HP.

I guess what I am trying to say is you are not alone, I know exactly how you feel!

Once the soap has hardened up enough to be cut I zap test. When it doesn't zap I put some leftovers from cutting near the kitchen sink and use those. But even though that's o.k. soap; it's not comparable with the feeling after it's had a good long cure.

debsmad said:
So, let's say you're still trying to find your perfect recipe and you know you'll need to tweak things until you get there....do you use your soap early to get an idea how it is, and make a new batch with adjustments right away, test early again?

Or do you just make a few slightly different batches and see which one comes out best, and go from there?

That 'perfect' recipe will take a pretty long time to form; look at it as an ongoing process :p Even the ones that have made countless batches and have been adjusting their recipes for years are still looking for improvement.

I have a basic recipe that I love, but that's the one I don't use often cause I'm experimening a lot.

debsmad said:
I'm finding this initial waiting process excruciatingly frustrating. I'm pretty confident that my first batches are not going to be my perfect recipe, ya know? Once I get it narrowed down to something I'm happy with this waiting won't be such a bother. But now....being new.....I just want to make this, make that, make more of this AND that, and it's stupid because I don't know if it's going to produce what I want. Anybody following my nattering? lol

:lol: So, just make everything you want to with affordable ingredients and let's see how it turns out!

Latest posts

Back