How soon do you test for Lye after pouring your soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like everything is fine; just give it a couple more days.
:p I'm as impatient as you and usually zap test right after the soap has set up, during unmolding & cutting.

I don't check any of mine until about a week after cutting.

all lye actvity should be gone after about 48 hours. i don't touch or test until that 48 hours is up.

Thank you all for your responses. I wish I'd posted this before I started licking my soaps!!

phpworm said:
all lye actvity should be gone after about 48 hours.

For whatever reason, some batches can be slow and persnikety, though. A few of my batches (which happened to be ungelled) still zapped 5 days out, but at the 6th or 7th day they were perfectly fine. As a result, I no longer declare a batch of mine to be lye heavy unless it's still zapping after a week or so.

IrishLass :)

IrishLass said:
For whatever reason, some batches can be slow and persnikety, though. A few of my batches (which happened to be ungelled) still zapped 5 days out, but at the 6th or 7th day they were perfectly fine. As a result, I no longer declare a batch of mine to be lye heavy unless it's still zapping after a week or so.

IrishLass :)

Thanks for taking a load off my mind ;)
I made my first batch of salt soap (50% salt, 15% SF) and used PKO instead of CO. It was still a bit zappy yesterday, after nearly 4 days and I have never had zappy soap after 2 days, so I was starting to fret. I will try to be patient, but don't intend using it for a good long while anyway.

I gell all of my soap, so after they cool down and set up and are ready to cut, I check for zap. I've only been zapped by one batch (touch wood) and I was trying to stop gel in the freezer and it wanted to gel anyway. I could tell as I was unmoulding it that it was gonna zap me.

So much for being patient...LOL

I just tested the salt soap again, and joy of joys, no zap.

Now I will wait until they are good and hard, in all about 6 weeks, before I start using them. They are plain white, scented with Litsea, Ginger and Patchouli EO's and smell divine.

Latest posts

Back