How much TD do you use?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I think I've been a bit stingey on my use of TD. I'm still using up my little bag of TD that i bought about 8-9 months ago. More recently I've been pre-mixing it into a bottle of water which I keep in liquid form to add as required, and as a result, I think I'm using even less because it appears that most of the TD is stuck on the bottom of the bottle, even though the liquid looks white.

To get a nice white soap I see that the people in the you tube videos are adding some generous amounts compared to what I use. How much (in powder) do you use in a 500g (one pound) batch?

I use around 1/2 teaspoon ppo but my base is really white to start with. General consensus is no more then 1 teaspoon ppo.

Get some small stainless steel bearings and put in your TD bottle. They will help agitate the powder that has sank, just give a good shake.

People in those Youtube videos are also adding very generous amounts of extra water to their soaps. I have seen that, and I have seen some of them also complaining about glycerin river. Maybe they should make stronger TD mixtures, or whatever else than squirting half of the big bottle in one part of the soap.

I have seen that they add stainless steel beads to their squirt bottles with TD water. That is something you could do to make sure it is not stucked to the bottom.

Okey, I did not read Obsidians post before I answered, which I should, then I would not have written about those stainless steel things. Yes, well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the oil soluble kind of TD. Are the usage rate guidelines the same as for the water soluble kind? I would like to use it up, but it’s kind of finicky. Will it go bad if I pre-mix it? Can it be stored in the frig or freezer? I’ve also seen people adding a glass marble for mixing. With only one marble I don’t think breakage would be an issue.

I have the oil soluble kind of TD. Are the usage rate guidelines the same as for the water soluble kind? I would like to use it up, but it’s kind of finicky. Will it go bad if I pre-mix it? Can it be stored in the frig or freezer? I’ve also seen people adding a glass marble for mixing. With only one marble I don’t think breakage would be an issue.
I just mixed up my 4-oz jar of oil soluble TD and I put it in the fridge (although I'm not sure that's even necessary). I got tired of trying to work the clumps out each time I wanted to use it. I poured a small amount of oil straight into the jar and just mixed the whole lot up all at once. I blended it with the SB, let it sit, and SB again. It's super smooth, and very thick so it doesn't take much and I now do not resent that I have the oil soluble kind.

I just mixed up my 4-oz jar of oil soluble TD and I put it in the fridge (although I'm not sure that's even necessary). I got tired of trying to work the clumps out each time I wanted to use it. I poured a small amount of oil straight into the jar and just mixed the whole lot up all at once. I blended it with the SB, let it sit, and SB again. It's super smooth, and very thick so it doesn't take much and I now do not resent that I have the oil soluble kind.
Smooth and not annoying - a winning combination!

I use roughly 3/4 tsp in a 2 pound batch but, I use light oils. I don't know whether it's water or oil soluble and I'm too lazy to get up and read the label. However, I put it in the oils and stick blend it in before I add the lye. That's worked great for me. I might have issues if I was attempting to do white swirls but, for that I'd probably go with white mica.

I use between 1/2 tsp. to 1 tsp. of dry TD ppo, depending on the FO I'm using, but no more than 1 tsp. ppo, definitely. I just disperse it with a little glycerin and blast it with my mini Badger mixer until smooth before adding it to my batter. I've used both the oil dispersible and the water dispersible TD, and they both mix in quite well this way with glycerin. I only use enough glycerin to make a smooth slurry out of it, and no more.

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back