Naughty TD

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just used some of my (usual) premixed TD in some soap batter. I have it pre-dispersed in water and have been using it that way for about a year now. I added a good squirt of the stuff and mixed. The batter stayed yellow as if i'd done nothing! So I added another generous squirt and mixed that in - still yellow! It's as if i hadn't added any TD at all! I decided at that point that I would leave it and see if anything happens to the colour during saponification. Now we wait.
Has this ever happened to any of you? It was my usual recipe and with an FO that I've used tons of times before.

I just used some of my (usual) premixed TD in some soap batter. I have it pre-dispersed in water and have been using it that way for about a year now. I added a good squirt of the stuff and mixed. The batter stayed yellow as if i'd done nothing! So I added another generous squirt and mixed that in - still yellow! It's as if i hadn't added any TD at all! I decided at that point that I would leave it and see if anything happens to the colour during saponification. Now we wait.
Has this ever happened to any of you? It was my usual recipe and with an FO that I've used tons of times before.

Ive never had that happen. I used to pre mix my TD with water but I switched to using oil. I find it shakes up and mixes back in easier. In the water it would settle to the bottom and I would have to shake it very vigorously for a while to get it to mix well. I still shake up the oil mixture and I also always keep it in a jar of pretty warm water to help it along, but it just doesn’t take the effort that it did when mixed with water. . Could your TD have settled to the bottom and maybe not been shaken up well enough?

Last edited:
Could your TD have settled to the bottom and maybe not been shaken up well enough?

I've had that happen, which is why I switched over to dispersing my TD with oil. I had thought I had shaken the bottle really well (it was about half full), but as I got near the bottom I discovered that the TD had turned into this really thick 'clay'. I poked it with a chopstick to try and loosen it and then shaking again, but it was just globs.

Now I still get separation between the oil and TD between uses, just as I did with the water and TD, but it doesn't turn to clay. I usually just take the top off and stick my little battery operated frother in and it mixes it right back up.

It's looking like I need to change to oil-dispensable TD then. Seems to be the general consensus.

After posting this thread I realised that I had ordered my BRV FO from a different supplier than usual. The one I usually use does not discolour the batter - but this one turns it bright yellow (and to brown after curing). Really annoyed at myself for making this mix-up! I have two main suppliers I buy from here and they both do a BRV, so it was an easy mistake to make. Who knows what this will look like after cure?
IMG_4860.jpg

FYI - it is actually a bit more yellow than the picture shows.

It's looking like I need to change to oil-dispensable TD then. Seems to be the general consensus.

After posting this thread I realised that I had ordered my BRV FO from a different supplier than usual. The one I usually use does not discolour the batter - but this one turns it bright yellow (and to brown after curing). Really annoyed at myself for making this mix-up! I have two main suppliers I buy from here and they both do a BRV, so it was an easy mistake to make. Who knows what this will look like after cure?
View attachment 66433
FYI - it is actually a bit more yellow than the picture shows.

My TD was not labeled oil or water and as it turned out, it worked with both. I would try it in oil. They look great!
ETA. I stopped getting glycerine rivers when I switched to oil. I know you like the GR!

My TD was not labeled oil or water and as it turned out, it worked with both. I would try it in oil. They look great!
ETA. I stopped getting glycerine rivers when I switched to oil. I know you like the GR!
Mine is water dispersible so i will try to hunt down an oil dispersible one. I don't necessarily love the GR, I just don't dislike them is all. Soap do what soap do ;)

Latest posts

Back