How long will Potassium Hydroxide last

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as the KOH flakes flow freely or there are only a few clumps that fall apart fairly easily, it's fine to use.

An alkali like KOH and NaOH doesn't "go bad" like food does. Keep the stuff tightly sealed to protect it from the moisture and the carbon dioxide in the open air. It will stay good for many many years.

If the alkali is clumped up into hard balls, it's reacted with water and CO2 and that's a problem.

Last edited:
If the alkali is clumped up into hard balls, it's reacted with water and CO2 and that's a problem.
Once my Sodium Hydroxide starts clumping it is marked for cleaning and pretzel making. Luckly so far it hasn't happened often and I have had bottles sit on the shelf for over 5 years before using. (I am cheap so by lye in quantities larger than I will use within a decent amount of time)

As long as the KOH flakes flow freely or there are only a few clumps that fall apart fairly easily, it's fine to use.

An alkali like KOH and NaOH doesn't "go bad" like food does. Keep the stuff tightly sealed to protect it from the moisture and the carbon dioxide in the open air. It will stay good for many many years.

Flakes flow freely - clumps. When I add to liquid there is no crackle sound. The heat from the lye mixture is only warm never hot.

Sorry miss type "No Clumps"
Hi @BettyW
Wave.gif
Just an FYI...
Find the Edit button at the bottom left of your post. Click on that when you want to add or correct something in your post. Be sure to click on Save to close the post.

NOTE: The ability to "edit" is only available for 24 hours. ;)

HTH :computerbath:

Latest posts

Back