How long to cure?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbiegirl

Reaction score
My soap,made 4 weeks ago, still feels harsh on my hands.
26.5 oz oo
16.5 oz co
10 oz po

209 GM lye and 20 oz distilled water.

I used eo of clary sage 1.7 oz and 1 oz lavender.

I hope not to trash it.

Your recipe looks fine so I don't know why it would be harsh. The only thing I noticed was your CO is 31%. I find a higher percentage of CO irritating to my skin if I don't use a higher SF. Have you used CO at this percentage before?

That was my first batch. I was afraid of the lye and went on soap making resource site and bought the kit with the recipe. The soap feels so smooth but my hands feel a little chapped or irritated when i use it.

Are you sensitive to coconut oil? Your description of your hands sounds like the problem I had when I used too much CO. This is just a suggestion but try lowering the CO by 5% in your next batch.

I know this is hard but set this batch aside and let it cure longer. My first salt bar batch didn't have a high enough SF for my skin. I set it aside and basically forgot about it. :oops: But a year later, it was wonderful. It was very mild and didn't bother my hands at all. Another batch was too harsh but one of my nephews thought it was great. He said it cleaned resin off his hands better than the professionally made soap they had at work. I decided to take this as a compliment. :wink:

I'm not saying you should wait a year to try it again. Maybe try a bar in 3 months and see if needs to cure longer. If you still don't like it, check again in another month or so and you might find it's wonderful.

Has anyone else tried a bar? It might be to strong for you but someone else might find it just right.

I don't understand about the coconut oil because I rub it on my skin all the time. It doesn't bother my hands or arms. I rub it in my hair. I eat it. I love coconut oil

Lye chemically alters coconut oil. Coconut oil is has great emolliency straight out of a container. Lye alters it so it's cleansing and drying. It's also soft out of the container but helps with hardness in soap. A chemist can explain it but I can't. :lol:

I understand what you are saying. The sodium. Hydroxide alters the molecules of the coconut oil . I didn't think about it that far. I find that interesting. I'll wait a while. In a few weeks I'll try again.
So the recipe can be a good one but not right for me.

Robbiegirl said:
So the recipe can be a good one but not right for me.

But it might be perfect for someone else. You'll have to see if you can get some guinea pigs...oops...friends and family...yeah, that's what I meant to say - friends and family to try it. :D

I will start to hand it out then. I have some requests..well maybe I will wait a week.
I shall keep a log of who has what so i can do a check back and see.
Thanks very much.

Latest posts

Back