How long did you wait?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anissa_mathias

Reaction score
I had someone post a response to my blog thread about making soap on my herbal blog. They said I had make hundreds of bars and wait a year before I put the first soaps on the site.

How long did you wait before you started selling your soaps?

Thanks, Deda. I am going to make my tea blends and syrup kits that I have been making for years and sell those in the interim along with the bath salts.

anissa_mathias said:
I had someone post a response to my blog thread about making soap on my herbal blog. They said I had make hundreds of bars and wait a year before I put the first soaps on the site.

Although to my knowledge I don't think there is a written law (at least in the US) that says you must have x amount of batches under your belt or have x amount of years of experience in soap making before you start selling it, I definitely think the responder to your blog gave you some very good advice that should be taken to heart by every new soaper.

I started making soap on a consistent basis in 2006 and am so glad I didn't listen to the enthusiastic advice of my friends and family who wanted me to start selling right away. The batches that I make now are light years better than the soap that I thought was so awesome when I first started out. I think I would have totally embarassed myself and ruined any potential future business for myself had I started selling right away. :lol:

I don't officially sell to the general public yet (although I have lots of satisfied guinue pigs, I have a few other pressing priorites at the moment before I can officially start up a business), but I have enough soaping experience under my belt now to the point that I have total confidence in my product to be able to sell it without shaming myself (too horribly :wink: ).

IrishLass :)

Right, no law, no set amount, no set time.

BUT - it takes a substantial investment in time and energy regardless. You should have enough batches under your belt to be able to produce a consistently great product; enough time should have passed that you know your formulas are stable and won't develop DOS and that your FOs will last (if you use them), and that your packaging is good enough to stand the test of time as well; and enough research done through soaping and reading that you know your stuff inside and out.

Took me a couple of years and then some. And yea, hundreds of bars.

I've been soaping for over a year and a half. I give my bars away to family and friends who really enjoy them, especially the cupcakes and salt bars.

I've played around with SoapCalc for a bit and now have some original recipes to make. Gave samples out of the first one to everyone I work with and am collecting feedback. Now I need to wait to see how this soap ages. Have several more on my list to try.

Would I like some $$$$ to help defray my expenses? You betcha!

Would I enjoy soaping this much if I had to do it for a business ? That's a question to ask yourself once you have your products/recipes down. I haven't soaped all summer with my high school/college aged kids around. Soaping is ME time and I like me to be alone when I do it!

Do I miss it? Yep. There is tremendous satisfaction in having people compliment you on a job well done.

You've gotten some great advice from soapers who really know what they're talking about. Keep reading, keep soaping, develop your own style and before you know it you will be ready and thankful that you didn't rush into selling too soon. :D

Latest posts

Back