How long CP takes to saponify??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maloga3

Reaction score
Hi all! Well, I've been trying those soapqueen darn swirls again, and I have put two batches in the freezer right after pouring to deter gel...so I made these this past Sunday and theyre still zapping me when I taste them, sometimes I taste soap though...so my question is- how long does it normally take for cp to turn into soap when you prevent any gel from occurring??
my recipe was basic, 30%OO, 30%palm, 30%CO, 10%castor:?:

oh, followup question, is there a window with which you can cpop the batch? I learned that some people let the batch sit over night and then cpop in the morning to prevent the oils from 'melting' before its set up...thanks guys!!

Maloga3, the time taken for saponification to happen depends on a few factors, like the soap's temperature (it happens more slowly in the freezer), the oils you've used, etc. But I'd say that if you made the soap on Sunday, it should be done by now! Even if it's sat in the freezer for all that time. So either you're just tasting soap and it's not a real zap, or you have lye heavy soap and it is a real zap ......

For future reference, 6 hours in the freezer should be enough to prevent gel if you've made the soap at room temperature. And then, to allow the soap to warm up gradually, I usually move it to the fridge for a few hours.

Thanks for the reply, it's definitely less sappy than Monday, so will give it more time. Also buying ph strips at pet store to make sure.

Back