how long before discolouring happens?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pawfect

Reaction score
I have some FOs that are blends, but I'm not sure what exactly are in them so only trial & error will tell me if it'll discolour my soap. How long does it take before they tan/brown the soap?

I just made a log soap that looks lovely (plan on cutting it up & giving it away to the ladies in my Mother's Group, but have a bad feeling the FO contains vanilla so they may have to use it fast!).

You should have a pretty good idea within a week. If it hasn't discolored by then, it probably won't. However, if it's already begun to go brown, it will probably continue to get darker.

Nothing wrong with brown soap!

I've had some for 2 weeks that haven't changed colour, so I guess I'm safe with those then! With the new FO I'll just pre-warn the people i'm giving the soaps to that they may turn brown but are perfectly useable & not going off :)
Thanks for your help!

If you wait four weeks before giving away your soap (the typical minimum for soap to be at its best), any discoloration that is going to happen probably will have happened.

Back