How does this recipe look to you?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jezzy

Reaction score
I haven't really made friends with soap calc yet and would like your opinion on this recipe I found online. Its suppose to be a great bar. Do you think its a good one? I would hate to waste the oils...

57g Avocado
170g CO
198g OO
227g Palm
85g Shea
283g PKO
7% lye discount.
1/2 water 1/2 gm
55g EO

what do you think? A keeper?
Thanks for looking!

For me, that would be way too much pko/co percentage. I try to get my pko and co at around 20%. This bar will be too cleansing and not very moisturizing at all. Do you have dry, oily or normal skin?

With normal skin, you could probably go a bit higher than 20% of these two oils, but not that high. You really should make friends with SoapCalc. :wink: It's a wonderful tool.

I know I have to I just haven't gotten around to it yet.. :oops: are there any good tutorials on it? That make it easy to understand?

I'd go for something like
25 % coconut oil or palm kernal oil or a combo of those two,
20% palm
45% olive
5% shea
5% avocado butter
when using all of those oils; but personally I'd rather leave out either the shea or avocado and use 7% castor oil and 43% of olive instead.

Jezzy said:
I know I have to I just haven't gotten around to it yet.. :oops: are there any good tutorials on it? That make it easy to understand?

Personally, I played around on soapcalc for a month.. When I first saw it I freaked out !! I use http://soapcalc.net/calc/SoapCalcWP.asp and it has an option at the top saying "learn" with soapcalc instructions on it ... Apart from that I cant be much more help sorry :oops:
Paula...

I guess for me KISS is the easiest. :)
My oil sources are limited so I just plugged in what ones I had and played with the numbers to get where it looked close to right, within the numbers soapcalc recommends. For me that is as hard and conditioning as I could get, then worked on upping bubbly. And keeping cleansing kind of low, since I don't want it to be harsh.
If it were me I would start with a few oils, get it close to my ideal and then go up from there, seeing how each one changed the recipes characteristics.
Mine are still far from perfect, but it's mostly my errors in timing my pour than the soap.
Anna

Latest posts

Back