How do you find product testers?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapAddict415

Reaction score
I would eventually like to sell my soap one day & Ive given out little sample size bars to family, friends and neighbors. I told them what I'd like to do and asked if they would please try it, maybe wash their hands with it once or twice (they're small, generic labled, shrink wrapped slices) and give me their honest opinion. When I call and ask if they've had a chance to try my samples because I'd like to know what they think, I get "No, not yet", "Oh, your packaging is so pretty & I dont want to open it", I even had an aunt tell me that she was keeping the samples in her purse because she loves the smell they give her purse everytime she opens it :roll:! Some of the people have had the samples for as long as 2 weeks now. I know that everyone thinks that my soaps have a nice scent but I need opinions on the soap itself. Do they like the lather?, the way it makes their skin feel? etc. Any suggestions on how I can achieve that would be greatly appreciated! :D

You can send those samples to me, I'll use em and let you know. That way I'll know what the soap I am makeing is supposed to be like. I am grinning as I type this. I hope you are and don't think I am a smart ass. Seriously, you need to do it in the moment. When you are with someone, give them a sample and have the use it then, get there reaction and you can ask what you want to know. If you want serious imput you need them paying attention to the soap not just washing their hands. I gave people homebrew and wanted imput. Common comments " It was okay. I don't like dark beer, forgot to drink it I'd rather have Busch lite. " Things I ask and got answers to while there WERE drinking in my presence What flavors do you taste? How is the bitterness? What scents? Is it sweet? What about aftertaste? Taylor you questions to find out what you want to know.

For my husband and I we gave ours away without asking for feedback. It was just something we liked to do and share with others (we had so much of it!). Those are the people who gave the best feedback and even asked to purchase or barter for more of bars that they especially liked. When I give away soap asking for feedback, most of the time people don't get around to using it right away. Most common reason is they aren't done with whatever they're using now. I think they just rather use something they paid for, first, and get to mine when they don't have anything else to use (maybe???).

I am fortunate enough to have a good neighbor who has a large family, and they all use bar soap. I give my new bars to them, and they use them and offer feedback. I also send out "care packages" to friends around the country who use the soap and give feedback. This works well for me.

Do you have a blog or facebook page that follows your soaping journey? If you do, then you could ask any followers if they'd like to be your official testers. I'm an official tester for a Bath and Body biz and I had to fill out allergy information & sign a waiver saying that I would not share the samples with anyone else due to possible allergy reasons. So maybe have some kind of waiver to cover your behind.

If you don't, then when you give the samples to friends and family, put a small questionnaire in with the samples. Then give them some incentive for returning the questionnaire, like a free full size bar of soap.

I just use facebook, tll them if they pay for shipping Ill send them samples of my soaps for free as long as I get an honest review.

Thank you everyone! Those were all some very good suggestions! Bruce2288, if you can give me your info then I'll send you a couple of my samples. I know what I like but if I want to sell then I need to know what other people like too so your opinion would be very helpful.

Back