How do ya'll pkg your soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soap1

Reaction score
I am really looking for a new way to pkg my soap. I Love the cigar band label, but soap still curing when I wrap it and before long the bands are loose and falling off...I want something really unique..something very professional looking.nobody in my area does soap and if I could find my niche I might just make it selling soap, but have not found that niche yet..about to cut the size of my bars down so I can sell them for $4, that might make folks try them, at the craft fairs around here, folks come to eat,,,maybe I need a food booth!! LOL!!

well, I usually am pushing it for time, will wrap at 4 week cure and it NEVER fails, they shrink more in the next few days before a show...

I have been working on this too.. google
maybe boxes.. ? I saw some cute ones..

me I'm working on labels I can make myself now .. but not sure thats what I want.. I also started a F/B page so friends and family (( Testers ))
can comment and help me decide..

I pack my CP soaps with handmade paper that I get from Africa. I do not wrap the whole soap in order to let customer to have an idea of the soap and the scent. But I've seen in the Internet some nice packaging designs using handmade paper.

soapbuddy said:
I know a couple of soapers that had their soap boxes made here> http://www.boxcoop.com/bath_body.htm?gc ... 6wodenF74Q

i've tried shrink wrap, cellophane, cigar wraps. and have found that regardless, people want to pick up every bar and smell it. i've tried packaging every one but a display item, but that hasn't been as successful as the simple cigar bands -- at least at shows. then, if someone buys one, i wrap in pretty tissue paper and/or a simple sandwich bag. but am reallly, really hoping to find some better solution.... have looked at glassine bags online, they're really cheap, but the shipping makes it totally not worth the price. would love to hear what others are doing!

I have wrappers printed, then I wrap my soaps like little presents.
I used to use a cigar band, but it skeeved me out when some would pick them up to sniff and practically SHOVE the bar up their nose. Ewww.
My wrappers aren't cheap, but they're effective and protective, I think they're pretty.

I like cigar bands, because people can smell and see the soap. I also started to use a lot of organza bags...love them! They are especially great for round bars or bars with some kind of design.

That's what I use too (organza bags). My customers love them too. And the packaging is pretty easy. I put my label inside the bag with the soap and voilà... !

dubnica said:
I also started to use a lot of organza bags...love them! They are especially great for round bars or bars with some kind of design.
How do you keep the organza bags from being shop worn, getting smudged or getting crumblies in it?

I use organza bags as well. For the store they are naked inside and I'm using bags just big enough to hold a bar of soap (3x5) with the label inside. For my wholesale accounts I shrink wrap with the top & bottom open to breath and then put them in the organza bags. In my area the organza bag has really become a signature and makes my business recognizable.

Deda I love your packaging! Are you getting the whole wrapper printed or just the label portion and then wrap your soap with other paper that you have bought?

With organza bags, the soaps must be very well cured. Also, you are right, they can look "dirty" very easily if there is too much manipulation. When I go to a market sale, I pack them very carefully and leave a bit of space between them. I use tissue paper (papier de soie) between each "kind" not to mix the scents.

In general, I keep my soaps in shoe boxes with holes on the top and on the sides, and pack them in the bags only when I have an order.

lily said:
With organza bags, the soaps must be very well cured. Also, you are right, they can look "dirty" very easily if there is too much manipulation. When I go to a market sale, I pack them very carefully and leave a bit of space between them. I use tissue paper (papier de soie) between each "kind" not to mix the scents.

In general, I keep my soaps in shoe boxes with holes on the top and on the sides, and pack them in the bags only when I have an order.
I see. That makes sense, thank you. I was just thinking if I schlepped all my soaps in organze bags from market to market, they would get shop worn pretty quickly.

WOW!! Thanks guys, that flickr site is unreal.....makes me drool over all the pretty soap packaging,,,some folks go all out, and are so talented! I believe a pretty unique package will sell the soap, and after they use the soap they will return for more!! In my area of north Louisiana its just hard to get someone to pay the price for a bar of handmade soap! very frustrating!

Just wanted to add I currently use fat quarters of reclaimed vintage fabric to wrap my soap in. It comes in lots of stripes, polka dots, and pretty calicos, it's cheap, and it is a nice way to up-cycle. It breathes well, and if you choose nice groupings of colors, it looks really fun and bohemian when on display. I've left soaps in the wrap for more than a year, unwrapped them, and they're still good to go :) It increases the price of a bar more than a box, but the customer it attracts is well worth the extra few cents!

I've been looking at fun soap packaging, though I am far far far off from that. I can't help it, it's all so pretty! I love the idea of paper and cigar band packages, like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/azursoleilorganics/7835390686/in/pool-soappackaging

or clear cellophaned in a custom soapbox. Or perhaps for a special gift, the paper wrapped soap in a nice box, like a penny box or something.

My question is, how have you determined which packaging methods work best for you in terms of attracting buyers, either at shows or if you sell on consignment in a gift shop, or have your own shop, or whatever. And do you sometimes use different packaging for the same soaps depending on the venue? If so, why?

Back