How do I get my hard oils out of the bottle?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soaptasm

Reaction score
OK, so I'm a newbie when it comes to this soapmaking stuff. I have my oils, and my lye should get here on Monday, but I'm wondering how I'm going to get to my hard oils. I got the 7lb jugs from Columbus Foods for coconut and palm. Is it safe to microwave it so that I can just pour it out? Is there some other better method? I'm quite excited to make my first batch, and I think I've studied up enough to give it a go, but i'm just staring at these yellow jugs with a tiny opening wondering how in the heck i'll ever get the darn oil out.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions, as I know there are others here using these oils, so there has to be a good way.

thanks for the quick replies, I'll try the hot water in the sink, since my vents are on the ceiling!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I JUST received my first CO order from Columbus foods and was pondering the SAME EXACT THING!
I don't think I was brave enough to ask but thanks to you I didn't have to.

THANKS and thanks to those who answered.

x

i have a BIG blue enamel pot for canning. i fill the pot about 1/2 full, then bring to a simmer, TURNING OFF THE HEAT and removing from stove, i place my 1 gallon jug in the pot, with it's lid off.

after the water cools down i can easily pour it into 1 or 2 quart containers.

I hate melting and remelting a whole bottle of oil over again each time I decide to make soap, so I just take a box cutter to my Columbus Food bottles from the very get-go, slit them open from top to bottom and then remove the solid contents to ZipLoc Freezer baggies, or to an easier accessable container like a plastic bucket with a wide mouth and lid.

IrishLass

I buy mine in big plastic buckets now, so it's easy to scoop. Back when I bought smaller quantities, I usually used the sink method described.

Latest posts

Back