How can you avoid inhaling Lye fumes?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preethijacobjt

Reaction score
Hi

How can you avoid inhaling Lye fumes while making CP soaps? It’s impossible for me to avoid inhaling lye even doing it outdoor. I could still smell chemical.

I pour the lye into the water and stir immediately while facing away from the lye. I also wear face protection and hold my breath for the few seconds it takes to stop fuming I do this outside in my garage and immediately go back inside for at least 10minutes. Then I bring it back in to chill. I have birds so no lye mixing in the house

Keep the container covered as much as possible while mist is rising from the liquid. <-- This is probably the most important thing one can do, but it's advice few people seem to use.

Other things one can do -- Use good ventilation and/or work outdoors. Don't put your face near or over the container.

If these things don't solve the problem, wear a respirator rated for removing mists and dusts. And change the cartridge regularly.

lyeContainer.jpg

I mix at my stove with the fan on. The fumes get sucked up immediately. Like cmzaha said, they only last a few seconds.
Unfortunately, I live in a cheap rental house with a cheap vent hood that vents back into the room instead of venting outside. Some of them are like that. On mine, the vents at the top are right about face level for me. That's something to check first if someone wants to try this.

I use a container with a lid (snap-on or screw) to mix the lye in. It fogs up from the steam released (don't close it airtight, otherwise it might inflate), and I have the impression that the condensed water somehow catches the fumes so that they aren't released into the free air.
Other advantages: no water losses due to evaporation, less carbon dioxide pulled from the air (soda ash crust floating on top of the lye), and a bit of tip-over safety. If you want to use it later, just close the lid tightly after it has cooled off a bit, it'll be even “vacuum-sealed”.
One unexpected thing about this is when the lye becomes hot, PP becomes surprisingly soft, and you might fear it keeps tight.

please think of your future health. Fumes from caustic chemicals like lye, fine dusts from mica and other powders can cause longterm damage in your lungs. This can decrease lung capacity and for some people can lead to adult-onset asthma or chronic cough/increased susceptibility to infection due to chronic destruction of the very fine hairs of the respiratory tract. If you can smell it, it's now in your body. Use common sense. Use some kind of respirator (you can get an n95 mask for dusts/fumes at any hardware store) that is properly fitting. Eye protection is always wise

please think of your future health. Fumes from caustic chemicals like lye, fine dusts from mica and other powders can cause longterm damage in your lungs. This can decrease lung capacity and for some people can lead to adult-onset asthma or chronic cough/increased susceptibility to infection due to chronic destruction of the very fine hairs of the respiratory tract. If you can smell it, it's now in your body. Use common sense. Use some kind of respirator (you can get an n95 mask for dusts/fumes at any hardware store) that is properly fitting. Eye protection is always wise
When I work with fine powders like titanium dioxide, powdered surfactants, and the like, I use this mask:

https://www.amazon.com/GVS-SPR457-E...d=1625414425&sprefix=elipse&sr=8-3&th=1&psc=1
It is more comfortable than any other mask I have ever tried. It actually seals around the mouth and nose so my breath actually goes through the filters rather than gaps between the mask and my face like other masks. I don't work with powders without this mask. Titanium dioxide in particular is very dangerous to inhale.

If I'm mixing lye, I use a lot of ice so it never gets very hot. I almost never smell it at all. For larger amounts I use ice and I do it outside.

If you are making a concentrated lye solution -- anything over 40% lye concentration -- be cautious about using ice. You never want the temperature of the mixture to go below about 60-65 F / 20-22 C while making the solution or storing it.

If it gets too cold, you will have problems getting the NaOH to stay in liquid form. Speaking from experience, it's a real chore to re-dissolve NaOH once it's precipitated out of solution.

I'm not saying to avoid using ice. Just understand the limitations if you do.

Other than the brief possibility of lye fume exposure, the real thing to be concerned about inhaling is the fumes of fragrance and essential oils. Constant long term exposure to them in the soapmaking process can affect not just lungs but also the liver and brain etc.

A respirator with cartridges for volatile organic compounds is ideal.

Mixing & curing space should also be ventilated to the outdoors and sealed off from living space.

If you are making a concentrated lye solution -- anything over 40% lye concentration -- be cautious about using ice. You never want the temperature of the mixture to go below about 60-65 F / 20-22 C while making the solution or storing it.

If it gets too cold, you will have problems getting the NaOH to stay in liquid form. Speaking from experience, it's a real chore to re-dissolve NaOH once it's precipitated out of solution.

I'm not saying to avoid using ice. Just understand the limitations if you do.
Thanks Deanna, will note this important info!!!

h
Keep the container covered as much as possible while mist is rising from the liquid. <-- This is probably the most important thing one can do, but it's advice few people seem to use.

Other things one can do -- Use good ventilation and/or work outdoors. Don't put your face near or over the container.

If these things don't solve the problem, wear a respirator rated for removing mists and dusts. And change the cartridge regularly.

View attachment 59135
hello,wouldnt the vapour still escape when you take off the cover? thank you

Latest posts

Back