How can I make pretty soap? :?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreciousSoaps

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

First off, I would like to thank everyone that helped me out in starting CP soap.

Now for my question. I've been doing M&P for a long time, and didn't have any problems making "layered bars" (i can swirl and all just fine). With the CP though, I'm having a much tougher time. The problems I have are with colouring and layering properly. At the moment, I'm using hot process method to create my ugly layers...lol.

A picture of CP and HP soap
soaptrial.jpg

Does anyone have any advice on how I can colour properly and layer properly. Just a thought, can I use the coloured crayon soap to color my soap?

Thanks!

With CP I will take my batch to light trace and then split into however many layers I want. I then work on one layer at a time taking it to a medium-heavy trace and then pouring. While I make the next layer that one sets up and is ready for me to pour. I'm not a huge fan of HP, but that's just me.....

BTW - hi from the Sunshine Coast!

Thanks for the info Lindy.

When I reach my trace, it's kinda like a pudding consistency, so it doesn't really work well for layers. Should I let it sit for a while until the liquid becomes thicker?

Coloured bath crayons, how are those for colouring soap?

I personally like to pour layers at a light trace. If I wait until I get a med trace I end up getting air pockets in the layers and that's not the look I'm aiming for.

Coloring has been a real challenge for me because I have used micas, oxides and liquids - all from different sources and they all respond differently. I've decided to stick with micas (that's just my preference) and found it's crucial to take meticulous notes. Early in my soaping experience, I might note "a little bit of such and such color". That just doesn't cut it! I need to know if I have added 1/4 tsp or a dash so that I can duplicate that color.

Also, you need to be familiar with your recipe. As you know, some will trace faster than others depending on the oils/butters you use. And extremely critical is FO you may be using which will also affect trace and color.

Overall, it is a huge learning experience and there is no single answer that can impart knowledge of pouring a perfect layered bar. Just practice, practice and practice and have fun doing it. Embrace the surprises you may encounter along the way. Sometimes my surprises have turned out better than my vision. :lol:

it will just take a lot of practice to get what you want. and be aware that cp/hp soap will never behave like mp! it will always be a little different or "uglier" as you call it. I like your layered bars, I would be pretty happy with those results.

your soap looks fine,
I wouldnt use crayons for color, theres lot of nice soap colorants and natural things.
I havent done layers in cp, just hp, im sure someone can help you.

I think making layers with CP soap is pretty easy. You just have to wait for the first layer to get firm enough to hold the next layer.

When I do layers I will either do as Lindy said above, or I will make and pour a batch and then 1/2 hr or so later I will make another batch to be the top layer. I leave my recipe size the same and pour into 2 molds.

You can vary the results you get by leaving one log sitting evenly and one sitting slanted for the first pour.

I have not tried HP yet, both above are what I do with cp--but yeah, I think it just takes a little time to switch from one medium to another and you will soon achieve the results you are looking for.

I JUST got done doing this for the first time. I didn't knnow how I was going to do it, but I ended up sticking the first layer outside in the 20 degree cold for about 3 min. that was enough time for the top to harden enough for me to pour on the next layer. not sure if that was the right thing to do or not, we shall find out tomorrow I guess!!!

HP soap can be layered and swirled just fine if your methods turn the soap batter pourable when you are done with the cook.

there are a few of us here on the forum who have shown pictures
of smooth HP soap and you'd have to take a double look to know
(or not even then) that they are HP soap.

I'd reccommend doing a bit of search here and research
the best ways of making HP soap and then going to the
tutorials section too. you will be amazed of the info this
forum has at your fingertips.

The key is to get down your HP method first then you can make
it do almost everything that CP can do.... (not everything but
almost)

That's my advice for whatever you think it's worth.

Thanks everyone! I will defenitely have to read up on layers and HP.

Tonight, I'm going to attempt the CP way to making layers. Make 2 batches, letting the 1st one dry and pour the 2nd batch on top. I'll try and post a picture :).

Not so good news...my CP batch that I was working on last night with the swirling, kinda gelled over on me. It was only the top layer. (i think).

I can't wait to unmold :) I'm anxious to see how the swirls turned out.

PreciousSoaps said:
Not so good news...my CP batch that I was working on last night with the swirling, kinda gelled over on me. It was only the top layer. (i think).

I can't wait to unmold :) I'm anxious to see how the swirls turned out.
That's too bad. Are you saying that you got a partial gel or it overheated?

soapbuddy, I'm not sure actually. I'm kinda new to the CP / HP soaps. The soap that did gel over, and as it was overflowing my mold, I spooned some out and put them in the small puzzle mold I have. I don't think the puzzle pieces didn't work out, they have a white film over them.

You'll see though, that in the picture below, the blueish soap bar turned out just fine. This batch was the only one I made the CP way.

Thank you everyone for the advice on CP and HP, I did a whole lot of reading on the website and kept trying to make some pretty soap. 1 week into the soap process, I finally was able to make 4 bars. I found that the HP works best for me. :wink:

Latest posts

Back