How can I know that my soap is Ok.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturalcare

Reaction score
Dear freinds,

On 1st of May 2013, I made my first experiment in soap making, (60% olive oil, 35% coconut oil, and 5% castor oil), the over fatting percent is 7%.

Today and after 10 days, how can I know if everything is ok with my soap or not.

Thanks

Some people do the zap test. If you have cut up your soap take a bar and touch it to your tongue. You'll know if it is not ready. But after 7 days I am sure you are okay as long as you used a good soap calculator and the right amount of lye.

At this point I would just take a sample bar and wash my hands with it. If I can handle the soap I can wash my hands with it to test it out. The hardest part is leaving it to cure for another 4-5 weeks. But you can test that bar out once each week. I do that with many of my batches. Take a bar out, wash with it once each week to check its progress. But mostly cause I am like a kid wanting to play with my new soap.

As Candybee said, today and after 11 days I tested my soap as you mentioned above, and I didn't feel any zap.

Hence, why we should let our soup for longer period? and how can we know that the soap is ready for use?

You can tell by washing your hands :) If it was made correctly, you shouldn't have to wait for "zap" to disappear -shouldn't be there in the first place. You cure soap because water is evaporating and the more that evaporates, the harder and denser the bar becomes. Also, the older the bar, the milder it becomes.

The best way to truly understand cured soap is to put a few soap bars away in your linen closet or other storage. Leave them there. Try soaps out at 3 months, 6 months, 9 mos, 1 yr, 2 yrs, etc. You will be amazed at the difference. Its also a great test for the strength and longevity of a scent. No you don't have to cure your soaps for 3 months or a year. Just sayin save some bars for long periods and give them a try. It will really teach you a lot. Think of wine. You know that aged wine tastes better. The notes come out more and the wine has mellowed. With soap the bar may feel smoother, the lather richer, the bar definitely harder, and lasts longer.

Today I decided to try my new soap, I noticed that after using it I can smell the lye on the soap bar not on my hand after using it, is it ok. or this is a sign that my soap should have more curing time.

And about the effect of soap on my hand I can't determine it exactly from first use.

thanks

The smell should improve. After a while it will just smell like a bar of soap. Unless of course you used some scent in it. I can use my soap after a week or two of curing but it really is much better at 6 weeks of cure.

Back