How Can I Get Soap fragrances - Scents to stay?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissChris

Reaction score
First made soap over 40 yrs ago. Much has changed in homemade soaps.
Today, Suppliers are marketing products by teaching all types of basics, teaching techniques, but also teaching soap makers to add in everything and anything that's profitable to THEM, where the real profit seems to be high-end profitable suppliers instead of the soap makers. U watch videos and sometimes just shake my head at soap makers spending their profits on every little thing suggested, leaving them with such small profits and such high cost on so many supplies today. it is just wild to this older me. I am sure pro's and con's are in the mix, don't misunderstand that statement totally, however, that you can take to bank though in the scoop of it all. And I am for profit. In any biz, profit IS the main reason to go into biz if you have a business plan, otherwise, just make it for a home hobby. Quality, fun, loving it, purpose, the mission, and how you do it are also important top factors, but #1 answer to go into any BIZ is ALWAYS "to make money". I have seen new and older soap makers go off on people who might do things differently, but still ok because they have seen suppliers or others do something thinking its WRONG or has to be done only a certain way; which is not always true, and many times things seen on videos are not new at all nor done just one way at all. (not talking about the basics) (ok, just been wanting to say that for a while... so glad that's off my chest) lol [no pun intended against anyone... just "my thought" of "industry today"]

<<< Anyway <<<<
My ISSUE About Soap Scents

What is newer to me is adding something as simple as more fragrances to my soaps because i have worked more with just natural raw organic soaps from scratch. Scents are driving me crazy. The cost is very high, and I am NOT getting the results I like to see. or smell, you might say. lol ... > especially if suppliers want this outrageous high cost for it today.

Keeping fragrances in the soap seems to be problematic not just for me because I have noticed others mentioning it as well. It's like it is diluted down. Have used fragrances to cut costs, although these are almost just as costly; having similar results. It seems like only the M&P bases, which again is the costly formulations; last. funny how that seems to be pushed as the new handmade vs handmade from scratch by suppliers lol (sorry comment off the topic. sort of.. just my option)

>>> SO, all this for The Question Below.
hehehe

I would like to make more soaps that offer scents since that is more desirable today, just do not see how other soap makers are keeping the scents in them long.

What things can be done in cold or hot processing to keep scents in the soap, and/or enhance scents with essential oils and fragrances. Along with keeping that scent in the soap longer?

Any tips on scents is appreciated

Thanks!
:)

My first question to you would be are you using essential oils or fragrance oils? Then I would ask - how much are you using and where are you buying them?

have used both. Different places. Some from the main suppliers like bulkapothecary, Bramble Berry, some on ebay, along with some imported. I use the amount calculators indicate. I realize I am not supposed to max over per lb.. for each co and for m&p; of course, it really depends on soap recipe, colors, and type of oil like citrus or vanilla or lavender.. etc.. each has its own calculation. so hard to answer that other question as a set amount used. Would depend on the batch. just not getting it to last much in batches. Dried in cool dried place.

It does take a lot of trial and error to find fragrance oils you like, are strong and stick well. I've never ordered from BA or from ebay, but Bramble Berry generally gives me good results. I like my soaps to be strongly scented and use .75-1 ounce PPO for FOs, provided they are skin safe at that rate.

Have you seen the Fragrance Oil Review Chart? It's set up by vendor, and I've found it to be a good source. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...MFTWfchk-c7sNswuh-yaTdRf1M/edit#gid=778656389

I'm one who uses primarily FO's. I pretty much always use 1 oz PPO and have no issues with scent sticking. If I come across one that doesn't last at least 6 months to a year I don't use it again. It does take trial and error. Using the Fragrance Oil review chart is helpful. Also reading the reviews on the suppliers sites. I carry 30-40 different scents.

First made soap over 40 yrs ago. Much has changed in homemade soaps.
Today, Suppliers are marketing products by teaching all types of basics, teaching techniques, but also teaching soap makers to add in everything and anything that's profitable to THEM, where the real profit seems to be high-end profitable suppliers instead of the soap makers. U watch videos and sometimes just shake my head at soap makers spending their profits on every little thing suggested, leaving them with such small profits and such high cost on so many supplies today. it is just wild to this older me. I am sure pro's and con's are in the mix, don't misunderstand that statement totally, however, that you can take to bank though in the scoop of it all. And I am for profit. In any biz, profit IS the main reason to go into biz if you have a business plan, otherwise, just make it for a home hobby. Quality, fun, loving it, purpose, the mission, and how you do it are also important top factors, but #1 answer to go into any BIZ is ALWAYS "to make money". I have seen new and older soap makers go off on people who might do things differently, but still ok because they have seen suppliers or others do something thinking its WRONG or has to be done only a certain way; which is not always true, and many times things seen on videos are not new at all nor done just one way at all. (not talking about the basics) (ok, just been wanting to say that for a while... so glad that's off my chest) lol [no pun intended against anyone... just "my thought" of "industry today"]

<<< Anyway <<<<
My ISSUE About Soap Scents

What is newer to me is adding something as simple as more fragrances to my soaps because i have worked more with just natural raw organic soaps from scratch. Scents are driving me crazy. The cost is very high, and I am NOT getting the results I like to see. or smell, you might say. lol ... > especially if suppliers want this outrageous high cost for it today.

Keeping fragrances in the soap seems to be problematic not just for me because I have noticed others mentioning it as well. It's like it is diluted down. Have used fragrances to cut costs, although these are almost just as costly; having similar results. It seems like only the M&P bases, which again is the costly formulations; last. funny how that seems to be pushed as the new handmade vs handmade from scratch by suppliers lol (sorry comment off the topic. sort of.. just my option)

>>> SO, all this for The Question Below.
hehehe

I would like to make more soaps that offer scents since that is more desirable today, just do not see how other soap makers are keeping the scents in them long.

What things can be done in cold or hot processing to keep scents in the soap, and/or enhance scents with essential oils and fragrances. Along with keeping that scent in the soap longer?

Any tips on scents is appreciated

Thanks!
:)

I am new to soap making and also an Aromatherapist. I want to only have essential oils in my soaps, and its very much a personal preference. What I am finding is the same as you, essential oils by nature evaporate. I have a couple of batches of soap curing at the moment and while I love the smell as I go past, those essential oils are just disappearing on me! It will only be the exposed sides, the oils are still in there. I will be looking at upping the % and just making sure that the soap is correctly stored, low temperatures away from heat. Making a mix of essential oils so there is a mix of top, middle and base notes will help. Unfortunately the cheaper oils like citrus are mainly top notes and their fragrance disappears the quickest. I'm sure this is why most people stick with the fragrance oils as they would have been blended for a longer staying fragrance. Another option would be to have soap blends with more saturated fats/oils in them to slow evaporation. Good luck :)

Latest posts

Back