How black?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my2scents

Reaction score
I have some black mica on hand, but I usually use wild crafted charcoal for my black swirls.
Can I get some fairly dark swirls with the Mica? or should I run out & buy some charcoal?

Your going to use less charcoal to get super deep black so you might want to.

Mica you will use more but you should get a nice black provided it's high PH stable. Have you soaped that mica before?

Stinkydancer said:
Have you soaped that mica before?

I've never used mica in soap, well, not yet. From what I remember of mica, its a mineral, sharp edges, flakes in sheets. I suppose it has to be ground up mighty finely to be a colorant in soap and not have abrasive qualities.

What is mica used in soap like?

Also, I would think charcoal would leave streaks and stains on your skin when you wash with a charcoal bar. Yeah, I'm thinking of rubbing a wet charcoal briquette across your skin. Surely it doesn't leave dark streaks or people wouldn't use it.

What is it like using a well aged bar of mica and/or charcoal soap?

ericllucas said:
Stinkydancer said:
Have you soaped that mica before?

I've never used mica in soap, well, not yet. From what I remember of mica, its a mineral, sharp edges, flakes in sheets. I suppose it has to be ground up mighty finely to be a colorant in soap and not have abrasive qualities.

What is mica used in soap like?

Also, I would think charcoal would leave streaks and stains on your skin when you wash with a charcoal bar. Yeah, I'm thinking of rubbing a wet charcoal briquette across your skin. Surely it doesn't leave dark streaks or people wouldn't use it.

What is it like using a well aged bar of mica and/or charcoal soap?

I use mica in almost every batch of soap I make and have no issue as far as feeling the mica. I don't grind it at all.
The problem with some mica's is that they aren't stable in high ph- so the color fades or morphs into a different color. I usually mix my micas with a bit of the soap from the main batch and stir it up then color the main batch with that little bit unless I'm swirling.
I use 1tsp PPO for a deep color- black- you may be able to get away with half tsp PPO.
I use TKB trading for my micas since they are good about letting you know if the micas are stable for cp soap.

You can also use black oxide which you use a lot less of than mica- probably 1 quarter of a tsp ppo.

Charcoal- I have never used personally- but I think it looks really nice. I know you just need a teeny bit and it can be messy. I also hear that the lather can be gray but it won't stain your face or anything. It's supposed to be great for acne prone skin probably not so much for dry skin.

In my limited experience with micas they are very light in soaps and it takes a lot to get color. I did have better luck with my purple over the green and light blue. Oxides produces much darker shades. I have charcoal but have yet to use it. Everyone on here says it only takes a little.

Eric - as far as consistency, make-up is made with micas. If that gives you an idea of how fine it is. I have dusted my soaps with it to get a sheen and rubbing it between my fingers there is no texture. It is silky soft, like fine powder. The charcoal I have is the dietary supplement in capsules, I figure it was easier to handle and I could get it locally (GNC has it). It isn't silky soft like the mica but is an extremely fine powder. You can blow on it and it will dissipate into the air.

I use mica to colour my soaps, or to add 'brush on' colour. I love it, especially the pop micas which give amazing colours.

Yes, micas are incredibly fine. They are the main ingredient in eye shadow.

Oxides and ultramarines are a little weightier but I can't feel them in the finished soap. Black oxide does well in soap and a little goes a long way.

I get a nice dark color from charcoal and it doesn't feel scratchy to me nor has it stained. Some people also mix it with oil infused with alkanet to get a really dark black.

Here's a photo of a soap I did with charcoal for a natural colorant swap:

cutcolorant2.jpg

And here's one swirled with black oxide:

discoloration.jpg

I ran out & got some charcoal, I now for sure what the results will be.
I gotta ask why "Stinkydancer"? whenever I see your name on a post I giggle & think of Philp seymour Hoffman acting as the best friend of Ben stiller In the movie "Along came Polly" where he thought he was a dancer & was running around in tights hilarious!

Back