Hot process help?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoddessMama

Reaction score
Ok I seached and found 87 pages of hot process soap. Can some one stear me to a good starting point? It just seems like a nice instant gratification method and maybe easier than cp?

I find it much easier than CP, but it depends what you want. I love the resulting soap from HP, but some people prefer the flexibility of doing swirls and other designs with CP.
HP soap is usually useable right away after it's cut, but it still gets better with a few weeks of cure time.

There are great tutorials online. Check Youtube!

I'd go to the Soap Tutorial section and there are a couple of topics about it. One has several links to different tutorials.

i love hp, i put oils in crockpot on high, then add lye/water mixture, stick blend til almost thick(trace), then cook for 35-65 minutes, watch the stages it goes through, you will get it start to get a gel ring on the outside, then when the middle island is gone its usually done, stir well, when done you add frag oil and color if desired. then put in molds. you can pm me anytime, i will help you.

I do HP exclusively and LOVE it!

I'd start out simple, either a Palm, Coconut and Olive oil recipe or you could replace the palm with lard.

Make sure to run all recipes through soap calc or calc of your choice.

Pick one that weighs in grams if possible, please don't use one that measures in cups or teaspoons etc. Weight measures are always the way to go, especially when first starting out.

Be sure to zap test it. Sometimes mine has gone through all of the stages and it still needs to cook a bit more to be totally zap free.

It is better after a couple of weeks but is usable immediately if you just can't wait :D

Good Luck and let us know how it goes~

I do, and prefer the cphp soaps more, so do my testers (not selling yet), perhaps because they can request a soap and I can have it ready for them within a few days if necessary though I always warn them that it will be better if they let it cure longer.

I only learned HP a few weeks ago and I like it much better than CP. I LOVE being able to test them right away, and I love the textured look it gives to the bars. And (so far!) it's pretty foolproof!

I've always done HP but I am dabbling in CP and really love it too! I think alot of it is just the excitement of doing something different. But I do love that the HP is ready right away. I started using sodium lactate and really love the solidness it gave the soap.

Quick directions for how I make my crockpot HP-- it's now my preferred soapmaking method:

- use your regular recipe
- mix lye with full amount of water.
- melt solid oils in crockpot on 'high'. When they're melted, turn off the crockpot, add liquid oils. Stir.
- add sodium lactate (if using it) to your lye/water solution. Stir.
- Pour lye/water/sodium lactate into the oils. Stick blend to trace-- I generally go to medium trace for HP.
- Let it sit for a few minutes. Once it starts to firm up, run a rubber spatula around the edges so no soap is drying on the sides of the pot.
- Turn pot to 'keep warm' and let it cook about 2 hours. Stir. If it's at the 'vaseline stage', zap test. If you get zapped, cook another 15 - 30 minutes and try again.
- Test the temp. Add your FO once the temp is below the flashpoint. Stir well (I use a wire whisk). Add color if desired.
- Pour into mold. Bang mold on the counter a few times, and spread the batter out a little on the sides with a spatula. I generally don't scrape the crock clean or I get bits of dried soap in the batter. Press Saran Wrap on the top, and 'smoosh' it flat with the mold's lid, your fingers, etc. or leave it rough if you want a rustic look. If you want it flat, go back and press firmly on the lid a few times while it cools; otherwise you will end up with a slightly lower spot in the middle, so keep that in mind when designing your tops.
- when cool, unmold and slice. It's soap at this point, but I generally give it two weeks to dry and become milder before use; longer if possible.

* if using sugar, dissolve it in water before adding lye
* if using sodium lactate, stir it into the lye solution, or add to water before adding lye (I prefer to add it to the solution)
* if using a boiled sugar syrup or honey, add it in at trace.

Once the soap left on the sides of the crock has dried, scrape it out and add it to the rebatch box.

** if your crock doesn't have a 'keep warm' setting, cook it on 'low' and keep an eye on it. Usually there is NO climbing or volcanoing on low, but watch it carefully until you know how your crock works. If using low, you can usually cut the cook time down a bit. Some tutorials recommend cooking on high, and you can do that, but then you have to watch the soap really closely and be prepared to stir it back down once it starts to foam. I like the texture of the finished soap better cooked for longer periods on lower settings.

Yes, Thank you all! I am going to get a batch going after the kids go to sleep. I already have my crockpot warming my oils. ;0)

I got myself a $10 crock pot today! It's not the prettiest but it's gonna get the job done! My mom is even in town to keep the little one out of troube! Hot process here I come!!!!!

Latest posts

Back