Hostess closing down

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was just reading a news article which stated Hostess is filing for bankruptcy and closing its bakeries. I feel sorry for the people who are going to be losing their jobs. It's not good to lose a job at any time but it's especially bad this time of the year with being so close to the holidays.

Then there's the selfish part of me which is upset when I realized this meant there won't be any more Ding Dongs, Ho Hos or Twinkies.

It is very sad and this is what you get when a union destroys a company. Hostess has been in business for over 80 years. This is sickening.

I was talking about this with my sister and said I think some other business will probably acquire Hostess. I really don't think it will be gone.

Hostess also owns Drakes and Dolly Madison, so no more Devil Dogs, Funny Bones, Ring Dings, Yodels, Zinger's, Donut Gems, etc, etc.......................... I think the entire aisle of forbidden starches at the grocery store will soon be non-existent! :shock:

IrishLass :)

ETA: Oh wait- I just read that all the brands will be marketed and sold off to the highest bidder.

IrishLass said:
ETA: Oh wait- I just read that all the brands will be marketed and sold off to the highest bidder.

Yay! My binge eating episodes will continue!

I didn't realize they also made Donut Gems. I love the ones with the brown sugar and coconut plus I also like Raspberry Zingers. I should admit that I actually haven't eaten any of these in a couple of years. Maybe that's why Hostess is going bankrupt. :wink:

Hazel said:
I should admit that I actually haven't eaten any of these in a couple of years. Maybe that's why Hostess is going bankrupt. :wink:

great, so it's your fault that I can't have anymore Hostess donettes :(
Entenmann's are not the same!
(admittedly I have cut back on junk lately too ... we're both at fault!)

I'm cheap. When I go off the deep end with sugar I buy Little Debbie's. :D It's incredible how many companies have gone down in the past several years. Best Buy seems worried and I read Penney's is, too. Their sale-price fixing really didn't fly. Who can rely on the news, they always seem to want to say things are on the upswing but the proof's in the pudding. And they say unemployment is down but that's only because people have been hired for Christmas help. That will change in January.

Maythorn said:
And they say unemployment is down but that's only because people have been hired for Christmas help.

I also believe the unemployment rate is down because some people have run out of benefits and can't apply any longer. I think you're not counted as unemployed if you can't make a claim but I might be wrong about it.

True, Hazel. I think I read that at some people give up on the job search until something promising appears on the horizon, however long that is and if it does. Not sure if you go from Unemployment to General Welfare, whether you are still counted as looking for work and that your benefits depend on your being able to prove you tried every week. I don't know how you could prove everywhere you applied. Be sure and print out "Thank you for your application," I guess.

I also read that Sears Roebuck was beginning to struggle to maintain their stronghold as a dept store. That would be so weird not to have Sears anymore. Not" too big to fail," I guess, though.

Latest posts

Back