Hoping for slow trace

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How does this recipe look for a slow trace?

Attachments

• BFCE610D-CD29-4C96-AEE5-F317E66FD567.jpeg
    BFCE610D-CD29-4C96-AEE5-F317E66FD567.jpeg
    469.8 KB · Views: 0
I'd consider that a moderately slow-trace recipe. Coconut, tallow, and shea aren't particularly slow movers for me. Also, once you add the clay, the soap is going to thicken considerably. But overall, if you soap on the cooler side (less than 100F), and don't add any naughty FOs, you should be fine.

Do you have a specific purpose for adding glycerin to the recipe? Your handcrafted soap will naturally have glycerin in it, as a byproduct of saponification. Adding too much more can make your soap sweaty or sticky. If you are hoping to increase bubbles, pre-dissolving plain table sugar in some of your batch water would be a less expensive way to do that. :)

I'd consider that a moderately slow-trace recipe. Coconut, tallow, and shea aren't particularly slow movers for me. Also, once you add the clay, the soap is going to thicken considerably. But overall, if you soap on the cooler side (less than 100F), and don't add any naughty FOs, you should be fine.

Do you have a specific purpose for adding glycerin to the recipe? Your handcrafted soap will naturally have glycerin in it, as a byproduct of saponification. Adding too much more can make your soap sweaty or sticky. If you are hoping to increase bubbles, pre-dissolving plain table sugar in some of your batch water would be a less expensive way to do that. :)
Thanks so much AliOop,I never knew that about glycerin. It was going to be for bubbles but I’ll be using some frozen macadamia milk so that should give me the bubbles so I‘ll leave it out. I have alot of tallow from our beef and I love it in soap so want to use it, I’ll soap cool 😎

Sounds great! Hope you can show us your creation when it is done. :)

PS - I love tallow as well, and have a ton of home-rendered stuff from a half-cow that my friend purchased. She had the butcher save all the fat for me. It was a ton of work but now my garage fridge is full of the lovely stuff. 🥰

Unless you are adding Shea Butter for label appeal, 2% is just not worth the money or the time. I would get rid of it and add that 2% to your Castor Oil since it will contribute to bubbles. Agree with @AliOop about the glycerin. Glycerin is a natural by-product of the soap making process. One on the reasons why commercial soap is so drying is because they remove glycerin to sell to other industries, but add a little back in.

You will want to hydrate your clays well because they will suck the water out of your batter and thicken up your batter. I use extra water for this.

Latest posts

Back